What are the advantages of using Node.JS compared to php

Curious about the node.js, seeing everyone is excited about this, but could some please answer the questions, I need to know before I commit some time into this.

What advantages does it offer over php?
Does things like connecting to databases still work the same way?
Is there any change to your work flow if using node JS
Is it better for websites or just apps?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but am am very time poor at the moment and I’m not sure if to invest the time into doing this and if there would be any gains.

1 Like

Here is a good article and covers when you might use nodejs over php and comes down to what you are actually building. https://www.altexsoft.com/blog/engineering/the-good-and-the-bad-of-node-js-web-app-development/

4 Likes

was an interesting watch. Thanks for that.

what did you decide in php vs. node?
I’m trying to start at the beginning with a node app, and finding it hard to use v. 4.9 with 3yr old docs. Terminology changed… banging my head. Might just do PHP to get going and save the headaches.

Hello, nothing has really changed for nodejs since we introduced it in Wappler a couple of years ago.

1 Like

I ended up moving to Node JS…best move ever !

2 Likes

Or s was something more “mental” than technical to pass from php to node.js.

For me, that I m code-agnostic (an elegant way to say that I don’t know to write code in pho, JavaScript it other languages), at the end same things I was doing in php same I was doing in nose.js. Difference is that node.js allow you to have more options than php.

for me it was more just making the change, lol I don’t like change.

1 Like