Welcome Bubblers! (An honest review)

My worry with Wappler is the database discussion - outside of something like google sheets / airtable I would have absolutely no clue where to start. In sheets you can get some exposure to “query” language but I really don’t want to have to think about setting up a database / running it on a server or any of the admin that goes with it.

I saw someone mention forest admin, it looks great but to most people coming from bubble it might as well be a fancy engine part - we don’t know where the catch to the hood is, which end of the car the engine is in and we only have one of those sets of 3 screwdrivers from an xmas cracker.

I’m sure some bubblers are more capable than me and I know there are courses to learn this stuff - its just that for someone learning for a couple of hours in the evenings outside of their job to build a small app for a bit of fun (who knows where it could go!) - the barrier to entry feels high.

If i’m wrong and its actually completely easy then please correct me and i’ll be the first to set up my wappler app and sing its praises on the bubble forum :slight_smile:

I am hoping I am wrong or that there are things on the way to make it easier for people like me because so much about wappler is appealing!

All the best,

Yes I get what you are saying @DrNinjamonkey, databases can be a bit scary to those not familiar to them
It is important to note that use of database is ONLY required for dynamic sites so in many cases don’t need to be used.
However, for anything needing data manipulation they are but Wappler makes this as easy as possible by allowing data to be managed via a visual interface and with the forthcoming inbuilt database manager soon to be introduced to Wappler is will become even easier.
You certainly wont be the first to come over to Wappler who have never used databases but with a basic understanding of how to create tables and make relationships Wappler allows you to do incredible things.
And of course, it’s great community is always here to guide you through those parts which you don’t understand
Then there are the YouTube resources like this to help you through the process

3 Likes

It was probably me. Just wanted to clarify that FA is not a DB management tool. It’s an agnostic SCRUD admin backend interface that plugs into your DB and reads it’s schema and relationships. It then creates an API so you can consume the data it holds.

You can’t design a DB with FA

2 Likes

That was useful, thanks!

Is there a tutorial that shows me in the most basic terms how to set up some basic hosting with a DB?

Are there any plans to roll out hosting specifically designed for people like me?

In a sense when using the database manager in Bubble you have got a lot of the basics covered. However Bubble does use its own terminology and does hide certain advanced features in a really nice way especially when it comes to relationships.

When using a shared web host setting up a database is relatively easy (to setup and to manage). There are more things to think about than just using bubble but its not going to take you much longer than a couple of hours to figure out the basics, plus once you know it you have transferable skills. I think @Hyperbytes goes into the creation of the DB through cPanel and then editing it with various GUI tools in his webinar series (thank you so much for those videos!) I recommend viewing that webinar series to begin with just so you can get to grips with how things work in the first instance.

2 Likes

See Webinar 1

See https://wapplervirtualacademy.com/hosting/

The interface is still,l being developed and will soon offer direct online registration but for the moment requests are managed by message

Thanks so much for your help. I’m going to take a look this evening. Cheers!

If the hosting service proves popular I will add a number of new videos to assist in setup and management of hosting and databases

2 Likes

Actually we do indeed plan to integrate a local webserver in Wappler for quick and easy testing. This will be definitely the case when we also add the NodeJS Server Connect support.

We can also add PHP and MySQL and then you have a all the dev tools you need fully in Wappler!

7 Likes

That would be amazing for less technical people. Being able to create and run a webapp just with the editor. It will facilitate getting Wappler known for people that come from bubble. Once they see what they can achieve just with the editor it will be easier for them to start thinking in live deployment.

6 Likes

It’s why we all moved.

I just downloaded - its a bit overwhelming and looks like a serious development environment rather than anything i am familiar with. Is wappler a tool to make development quicker for those that can code or a tool for people that dont know how to code to build project (and possibly have to use a bit of code)?

It’s both, it is flexible enough to meet both those types of user.
Just because it can do virtually anything you want does not mean you have to use all those facilities, you can “grow into it”

1 Like

Ok thanks. First mistake was opening up one of the templates and try to work out what was going on. Will watch some intro videos now.

You are not alone :grinning: it took me several hours to really digest the basics of app creation. It would be great idea to have a virtual style assistant integrated in the Wappler that take you through every step needed to build an app. This is built in many softwares such as Photoshop ect. When you first time open the project, it gives you an option to whether you will want to be guided through all the basic steps.

1 Like

Not going to lie @DrNinjamonkey it is intimidating the first time you open it. It takes a little getting used to the way to do things in Wappler (I come from a coding background and nothing was tying it all together for me). I think Wappler are making a more friendly beginner guide but you really cannot beat following along with @Hyperbytes video series thats what allowed me to actually start making things in Wappler and started fitting the bits together.

5 Likes

I did the exact opposite. I opened the dynamic app template to see how everything was working.

Funny how each type of person has a completely different way of absorbing knowledge :slight_smile: I was always the kid stripping apart toys and not being able to put them together. I guess some things never change :slight_smile:

Pretty sure I will go through tutorials at some point as there will sure be a lot of tips and tricks here and there. But for the most parts I already got the hang of Wappler.

6 Likes

Awesome man, glad its going well for you. I got on really well with the stuff inside wappler itself, seems like a great tool. I have spent an entire day wrestling with servers and databases only to get one of each set up…but they dont like each other apparently. Back to it tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t desist. It’s time well invested!

Actually you can already share sample projects in Wappler through github!

Just put your Wappler project in there and share the link. Then when somebody wants to try it they can just create a new project in Wappler and use the github link as to clone the project.

The whole project will be auto copied.
Because of the great git integration, now final in the last Wappler update, the sample project can even be updated by the original author on github and you will get the updates automatically!

You can also “fork” it on github and then clone your own copy that you can change, commit back to your own form on github and put a pull request if you want the original author to publish your changes to its copy.

So power to Wappler Git integration- project sharing :slight_smile:

6 Likes