Wappler Upgrade Quandary - option to install 5.8.3 and 6+ side-by-side

I have an old Wappler-built site that is PHP and BS4 but is very complex. I have plans to convert it to NodeJS and BS5 but it will take time to build and test. I do, though, need to keep it in service and supported for current customers.

I am currently forced into staying using Wappler 5.8.3 because when I briefly tried the site in W6 there was a whole range of issues and errors on pages that I don’t have time to identify, investigate and squash (sorry, I know that doesn’t help stabilise the product). It is also worth noting that I have custom formatters and JS on pages that could be conflicting in some way so it may not be bugs within W6 - particularly because of the full rewrite of AC to AC2

What I would like is the ability to install W5.8.3 but install W6.x as a separate app. I appreciate that I won’t be able to run both at the same time, as we see with beta versions, but I would then be able to still support my older site by opening 5.8.3 while working on newer ones using the latest version of Wappler 6+.

Could there be a ‘Legacy’ install file that can be install alongside the active version, in the same way you release beta versions, that are tied to specific versions of the product such as W5.8.3? I’d very much like to get going using W6+ but am currently unable to do so

You can still open your pages in Wappler 6, and just don’t update the old js files offered in the Project Assets Updater for this specific project. Nothing will be auto updated this way and your project will run the same way as in 5.8.x

1 Like

I recall (but cannot be certain) there being some changes to node libraries even if no extension updates were allowed. I had a similar experience of, “I’ll deal with this later” so @bpj keep that backup folder!

1 Like

Why not use Git?
You can discard all changes and safely keep updating the app as well. With the project updater, many files don’t even update automatically now… so that’s a plus.

I do the same for an old PHP website, I built on Wappler, as well.

1 Like

Do you have a second laptop? I run 3.9.7 on one laptop, and 6.x on the other…

1 Like

Besides I also recommend using git:

I use a virtual machine (virtual box) in order to control backend and mobile project (as they’re two separated projects) the best option here is sharing the project folder so I can see all on the vm as well.
But need to be careful on having same project on both editors, don’t know how the behavior could be.
So that’s another option too.