Wappler split tab feature discussion

@George - Lots of great comments and insights on both sides here. I’m extremely glad to hear that the tree view isn’t going anywhere!

I for one, and it seems many others, would be doing a happy dance marathon were split tabs introduced. It seems like a fairly easy thing to add which would significantly improve the user experience. Just my 2C. (if you could also remove the minimum width from the left hand panel so it doesn’t have to take up so much space on my wide monitor that would be sweet too. :smile: )

Also just want to say that I’ve always appreciated that you and the team are on here listening to us and engaging in these conversations even when they might be difficult.

2 Likes

Well I have to say we did quite a lot of experiments with split tabs and the reason we didn’t implement them directly is because of the lack of space when you have to tabs next to each other. Then their contents become really small on a single monitor.

So we were actually concluded that maybe a pop out tabs in their own windows might be a better idea as you can then put them on a separated monitor as well.

But to do that we had to re-engineer the editor core and UI, so it got postponed till a major redesign, so we will see if we can do that in the current beta cycle now.

Pop out tabs would be cool, but not as useful as split tabs IMHO as I have Wappler open on one monitor and my site open on the other. My 27" monitor is plenty wide to have two tabs especially if both side panels are closed. If split panels are introduced maybe a toggle button to open/close both side panels would be useful? Horizontally split panels would also be great. :smile:

1 Like

YES PLEASE!!! Detachable windows would be very useful. Eclipse does this fairly well. Even without the detachable windows, you can quickly make the individual windows fullscreen and then go back, which makes it easy to use a split view.

It’s also nice when you have multiple monitors to detach all property windows and place them on a secondary screen while maximizing the code/design window. They also make it easy to reset the windows (i.e. perspective).

Here’s a quick example of those features.

The perspective is saved, so when you close/reopen the application the windows are preserved. You can also create multiple perspectives with different sets of windows that are useful depending on your needs.

If you could also include a dropdown that shows all tabs with a search, that would make it much easier to have a lot of tabs and find them, instead of needing to use the horizontal scroll – which is difficult to grab due to the narrow size of it.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea. What I often do now is find the file in the left panel and click it there as I know where in the tree things are and that will just focus the tab. Faster than trying to scroll through horizontally and find what I’m looking for.

1 Like

I agree this would be a very useful feature - even if only a few files are open (ie even when it’s not necessary to scroll horizontally).

The current tabs generally don’t work well - this has been mentioned in various suggestions and feature requests (eg here, here and here). Having a list displaying open files - preferably with an option to include the paths - would resolve most of the issues raised, at least in my opinion.

1 Like