Wappler Local development without docker

How do you set up a local machine without docker? I just purchased a Mac Mini with an M1 chip (and guess who doesn’t support the M1 chip yet.)

Back in the day (meaning like 6 months ago) - Wappler could be developed locally without docker.

Now when I try to create a database connection in Wappler I’m getting ‘invalid target’ errors.

I’ve set up MySQL, the database connection string works. I’ve set up a local PHP server and that works. Not sure what I’m missing here.

The best and most lightweight local development is NodeJS with SQLite as database.

You can also have remote targets with other database types that you can easily sync.

If you really need PHP then you should have something like MAMP running as docker is indeed not M1 ready yet.

Thanks for the quick reply! Will try this out and let you know.

And you might want to check my review of the Mac mini :slight_smile: if you haven’t yet.

@George: great review on the mac mini! I was happy to find out I wasn’t the only one surprised by the fact that Docker wasn’t supported out of the box. :grinning:

So, I have started re-writing my project moving from PHP to Node.js. I wish I had taken a look at Node last month. I was 3 weeks into my project and now I am moving over to Node. :dizzy_face: But - in the end it’s the right decision. It’s so much cleaner.

• Overall, I like the templating features better in Node. It makes it super-easy to separate code. The PHP includes were starting to look a mess.
  • I take back what I said about the Theme manager. When I last looked at it it was early on and didn’t have nearly the capabilities that it does today. I am now only using Theme manager to create my ‘material-ish’ design. I still hate coding CSS but you guys have made it pretty easy.
  • There are some hinky things in switching from PHP to Node:
  1. Sometimes the routing doesn’t get updated on the page when you add parameterized routes. It took me a while to figure out why my query parameters weren’t working. There’s not a good tutorial for Node on creating routes (I know it’s 95% the same - except where it’s not.)
  2. The app query string parameters don’t show up like they do on PHP. I can type ‘query.parameter_name’ to get to it, but it was super-nice to click on it.
  3. On the local web server output when using SQL light I’m getting weird errors for default values.
  4. It’s not obvious why sometimes the ‘blocks’ show up and sometimes not.