Wappler & Industrial Solutions

I think you miss the point, I added this to a thread of two people (Sid and Gilbert) who were actively discussing it. I just linked your meet-up post.

@bpj
Thats absolutely correct. I am a building automation engineer. I do hvac controls, lighting controls, security systems but automation industry is bigger than that. In my job I have to build hmi or front ends for users to connect to their systems and have full control. Currently the softwares I use to build my front ends are way behind than what wappler can do but whats the point if it can’t connect to automation servers (plc devices). If they implement opc ua and/or mqtt then wappler would become a true iot tool where you can pretty much do any front end for any industry. I think that would be a HUGE addition to wappler.

2 Likes

Actually, I was thinking that after adding nodejs and socket, a lot of creative ideas will be created in the community. Because in Wappler, not only desktop applications but also applications with remotely manageable screens such as kiosks or small screens are made and made with electron js :slight_smile: Apart from that, socket connection is popularly used in chat software. Apart from that, its main purpose is to process instant information and present instant information to users. . ( there are many more usage topics ) . I used socket connection with voip in my last project. (in the call center - agent console). Now I will use scada and wappler to the end, let’s see what happens :slight_smile:

(I made a sample phone call, it can be seen towards the end of the video :slight_smile: )

As someone who has been using Wappler for a very long time, believe me, the potential of Wappler is growing with these ideas.

Yes, as @john said above, it may seem like a niche business, but we should definitely not think of it as a niche business because as we change the technologies we use, different software developers in different worlds are doing excellent work with many other products. I think we need to think more broadly.

1 Like

In addition, it is a good alternative to websocket if MQTT implement for App/Server connect.
As alternative

1 Like

Yeah. I see it very useful and Wappler can for sure make use of IoT tech. But there are a lot of systems to be integrated just to serve a niche while the majority of users won’t get much benefit from it. That’s why I think the team can serve better the user base by improving extensibility adding more places where we can hook into and interact with Server Connect in further ways, app connect and even extensions to the UI. Then anything is posible and everybody benefits from that time invested in extensibility.

2 Likes

hi @BiBo ,

Although mqtt and websocket are similar, they have different aspects;

MQTT : It incurs minimal overhead during communication.
WS : There is a lot of overhead when we have a lot of IOT devices during communication.

MQTT : Specifically designed for IOT devices with an aim to reduce the bandwidth and provides assurance of delivery.
WS : Mainly developed for full-duplex/bidirectional communication channels.

MQTT : MQTT and Websockets are similar to TCP and IP protocols; basically, they are one layer above the other.
WS : They are a low-level protocol.

MQTT : Multiples parties can be able to subscribe and publish messages.
WS : Designed mainly for point to point communication.

They both use a TCP based protocol so they look similar but of course they are designed for different purposes. WebSockets was initially developed for the full-duplex communication channel between browser and servers. It can be used for connectivity of embedded devices, or you can say IOT devices, but it will not be able to hold signals very well.

Hi @JonL,

you are absolutely right . I don’t know if you have ever used graphql before or searched in depth, but it can greatly affect the use of graphql and the current wappler. I didn’t say to use Graph only with IoT. My goal is to create existing recurring server connects (I use the sc library very often) I thought maybe it would be a much more practical way. If you haven’t studied graphql before, I strongly suggest you do. Look at this screenshot;

REQUEST :

RESPONCE :

What you see here is the result returned from only one api source and I only need to get one or two fields from this query result. This creates a huge data load. Graph with wappler can solve this.

I can only get the fields I need by doing the same query with graph . This lowers the data load. In other words, it would be great to create a huge sc in the wappler and use only the areas needed within the pages, and it would be an incredible performance.

What do you think a similar approach would be like?

MQTT that I mentioned for the IoT side, I think it will be used by existing wappler users after a while, but it may be the first for people who are not familiar with wappler and are interested in IoT. and different users of wappler can also get a chance to win. Because I have not encountered a similar application yet. I don’t know if you’ve met

The reason why I mention the time-series database model is that if any of the existing wapler users want to store price information with mysql , mariadb, they can do this without a time-series db, but they will not see the desired performance after a while. Because they are structurally different.

ps : You’re absolutely right about creating client side modules, we can achieve a lot. :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

On the one hand, we have someone (Jon) saying its a niche (maybe, when you consider the existing user base),
and on the other, from a very experienced Wappler developer who is WAY OUT THERE w.r.t Iot, MQTT, etc., pushing for something he knows will be of great value to Wappler… and perhaps that brings in 100,500,1000? new developers because Wappler is now the coolest thing for these technologies.

hmmmm, worth a look, instead of a quick dismissal, IMHO.

1 Like

You can already call any graphql server and do your query with API connector. Graphql is just another API provider…

yes george, there is no application that offers a visual interface like wappler for graphql. (I haven’t seen or heard of it)
I am 100% sure that it will be great to edit all api resources to be added to graphql via wappler and create transforms and resolvers.

Hi @BiBo ,

yes, it’s very good, you should check janus too. I have used janus with wappler and it really works perfectly with wappler.

https://janus.conf.meetecho.com/

It is not fully clear to me which graphql integrations you see. As a query builder or as a server?
Maybe also post a separate feature requests per service with detail description why we should integrate it, so people can vote on it.

So post separate feature requests for MQTT and other services you mention.

@nevil had previously made a feature request for this. I even wrote that we can already send queries to graphql server as an answer . I think this feature request has been forgotten because it is outdated.

but I will request separate features for mqtt and time-series db.

I’m asking out of curiosity, does knex support any time-series db ?
@George

Not the usual suspects(ie influx).

Maybe timescale which is based on PG.

Nice try @Jaymer. Don’t be that guy. Before IoT we have NFT integration waiting :joy:

Not comparing them! IoT really is more useful than GIF scams.

1 Like

As for GraphQL query builder using the API as solution has been shared before:

yess @George , I can even make xml requests :slight_smile:

we are now in the same place with you , there is so much and it is already usable . It remains only to collect them under a beautiful interface.

Example: I can now use xml requests with the wappler api, but I only had to create a simple xml-json convert for the response. Now it works very well with wappler. (small fixes still needed :))

So now Wappler is capable of solving big problems with small touches.

1 Like

I finally got around to replying to you as I didn’t have much time yet :slight_smile:

I’m currently working on a project that uses directus as CMS. So I do use graphql to bring data from it to SC. I have some helpers in the form of custom extensions to ease the work. And yes I do agree a better integration with graphql from a UI perspective would be nice(and not niche). So I’m all for that.

IoT tech stack however is quite niche and wouldn’t bring a lot of value to the product so I see that as a problem to be tackled via extensibility of the platform. But I do see real value in IoT and making it work well with Wappler. And I’m all for adding the needed changes in Wappler extensibility to allow a great integration with IoT tech.

The potential of bringing 1000 IoT users, as jaymer suggests, is not a good reason to add something to the core of the product. Bringing 1000 users of any niche is actually a very bad idea because Wappler is not a product that focuses on niches. Because why stop at IoT?

Same as I was very vocal opposing Wappler adding to the core “Web3” technologies(specially NFTs) but this was even worse because blockchain tech has attached a toxic community that would eventually have it’s impact here.

Instead of adding niche features to the core I think it’s better to push for core features that will benefit the great majority of users and for the rest improve extensibility so anyone can build and integrate whatever they need without having to resort to workarounds.

2 Likes

hi @JonL ,
I hope you will successfully complete your project soon. :slight_smile:

I’m so glad we agree on the graphql side. Yes, there seems to be a little more time for topics such as IoT, but it is necessary not to waste too much time because the transformation will be fast. Having Wappler at the beginning of this process will be a great advantage . In other words, many new users can gain the habit of wappler.

I just want to say for IoT let’s not be late…

2 Likes