Wappler FTP not an improvement over FileZilla

I was told that Wappler FTP has an advantage over non-integrated FTP clients –
in that Update of Synch sessions would only affect the files actively involved in a project.

But I see that my connection is UPLOADING EVERYTHING – I have four basic php files that take care of login, selecting an event, filling in the form & saveing to database & sending email & Thank-you form.

Wappler is uploading all other files it finds, including action files in folders that ARE NOT IN USE

Wappler needs a Setting to Select which php files in a dynamic-databse site ARE the actual online-files.
Then wappler should look at the code for those front-facing php pages, see all of the files they depend on – and only upload the CSS, DMXConnect folders, Etc that are actually REQUIRED

Or Open up all the PHP browser readable files that contain the entire Online website or application & Then Select UPLOAD or PUBLISH

Wappler should by defaultl only FTP up only the actual project files needed – modified connections, actions – but not every single Project file created when Wappler made a new project.

Right now Wappler just FTP’d Every Single PROJECT FILE – all of the unused ones, too

For instance, when working on a project that involves TWO Different websites or applications USING THE SAME Database

I should be able to create 5 application pages that all link to each other for https://website 1.com/ProjectApp1

Then keep them open in Editor tabs after saving and Select “PUBLISH OPEN PAGES”

and can select the FTP connection for that particular target at /ProjectApp1

Wappler fills in the missing info – all the dependent files in my current project folder–
Wappler then saves this transaction & notes that these pages & dependencies are ONE FTP target.

Then I open up my https://website 1.com/ProjectApp2 pages that I developed inside the same project folder because the Database is in common.

Now I specify that THESE pages are my next separate application.

Now I Select my next FTP target in Settings and click PUBLISH
Wappler does NOT send any other pages – not https://website 1.com/ProjectApp1 – only the new pages I have selected in the File List View or now open in the Editor with tabs.

I agree it needs a setting. More than once Wappler has uploaded what we could consider sensitive files and we now check after every upload. This is not good and would be great if it was in some way controllable by the User. Maybe there is a setting we don’t know about?

1 Like

It’s really essential that Wappler allows more granular control over what files get uploaded from a project location.

I’d also love to see an extension that when you Re-Open a project file you can specify “OPEN Linked Files Only”

Wappler has stored in xml each page that calls upon common resources – whether it is the initial connection file, the security manager in common for more than one page, and even the internal redirects clue Wappler to open all pages referred to in direct links or redirects & subsequent associated Server Actions – etc.

So that soon after Wappler opens you will see ONLY in the File Navigator & in the TABS for opened pages in the Editor the files that comprise the Application you have built so far.

And in the Server Actions panel as you click anywhere on a page sitting in an Editor tab you see the Server Actions just as they were applied to this page when you last finished.

If you finished in the previous session and now want to upload the APPLICATION you can specifiy UPLOAD to your selected Target definition.

It would really unclutter things & give you a more secure feeling about what is going online.

If you have the active ftp target selected, Wappler will upload only saved or generated files on save.

If you choose to “publish” it will check all the files from your project an upload the different ones as it will do synchronization.

So you don’t have to click on publish each time if the ftp target stays the same - uploads will be done on save.

2 Likes

I read this 3 times and I have no clue about what are you talking about…

Do you want to see less files in your project? Are you talking about files in the file manager or files being uploaded?

Do you want to upload specific files only? You can do that already in the file manager - right click context menu…

I’ll check that out George
I believe I had that target set correctly because I first clicked the

“Check Target Location” and got an Okay after it ran its tests.

But now I don’t follow you.

Are you saying that Publish starts first the Synchronization connection and comparison, file by file localhost on my machine to online file & that it by default will go through every single file folder in my localhost Project Folder?

And that AFTER that FTP is just a synching operation?

I work on a file – it changes — Wappler steps in – runs a synch between my machine and online host & uploads then the file I just changed?

This is excellent –

but does this also mean that the Server Action files used on that page are also uploaded to their respective folders, too?

If I just made a new Server Action folder & created 3 server actions – the connection file, the query file, and attached a Security Provider that I’ve given a unique name.

When I select this new page are files contained in my just saved Server Action ALSO FTP’ed up to the their folders online?

@NewMedia
On saving a file in the design view it gets uploaded to the selected target.

On saving a server action in the server connect panel it gets uploaded to the selected target.

When clicking upload in the file manager only the file you selected gets uploaded to the selected target.

Clicking the publish button in the publish toolbar uploads all the files to the selected target, as George already explained to you.

It’s not that complicated.

1 Like

A FEATURE perhaps down the road in development for Wappler –

User can Assign just the files in the Project Folder that contain the Application so far, or the Completed Application as ASSOCIATED with Each other.

So that the User wants to open up a Wappler Project folder created last week or so …
the User could specify JUST OPEN ALL THE APPLICATION ONLY Files.

the file navigator will highlight the files now open while, also, those Application files are open in the Editor.

In other words – not all Project files are equal
At some point the User wants to just SEE The Application files distinctly .

If the user enters multiple projects It would be helpful to have the Complete Application ONLY files opened.

Nothing is that complicated if you built it and understood the reason for your own logic in the first place

Thank you, Teodor!

I appreciate your time in reading and responding! :+1: :+1:

I am not sure I understand the complicated logic behind your multiple apps/projects explanation but:
You should create a separate project per application. There is no such thing as multiple apps in a same Wappler project definition/folder.

Each separate app must be in separate folder and in separate Wappler project.

Have you tried excluding the files of your choice as in

I don’t think it’s that simple either - I wish it were. As I describe here, saving a file can upload other files which you have not chosen to upload - with potentially disastrous consequenes.

Tom, you are referring to a totally different thing - uploading the latest versions of the Bootstrap 4 files.

I have quoted the relevant part above. I would have thought the issue is controlling what files are uploaded to the server (which might or might not include Bootstrap 4 files).

This happened to us several times (at first we thought it was us but definitely not the case, multiple Projects have had files uploaded without our intervention) and we did not select to synchronize anything. We believe it happened when Wappler opened the Project and without notification uploaded everything. Some notifications of what is being updated would be great, I think I remember the older DMX extensions providing a notification of updated files that require uploading? This is far more sensible then uploading blindly.

We have never uploaded the ‘_pgbackup’ directory to any of our Projects knowingly, ever (one of our designers uses Pinegrow). Yet it has been uploaded. I’m sure Wappler doesn’t need to update this? :wink:

Hi Dave,
Please check George’s reply. Wappler does not upload “everything” it most probably uploaded the Bootstrap 4 or App Connect files:

Also, the message you mention were not related to the DW extensions we offer, but this is how DW sync works.

This year we will introduce a whole new publishing workflow, which will let you control everything so such thing won’t happen.