Wappler 4 RFC: Editor Tabs for Server Connect actions

Ya, this preview concept until edited was not obvious to me. It just felt as though the decision was made to restrict to one tab. I think it will trip people up.

2 Likes

I think we will eventually settle for:

• single click on the SC tree: will open the action in preview mode, reuse preview tab if already available
  • if preview action is edited - it becomes a permanent tab
  • double click on SC tree - always open in new permanent tab - not in preview

So you can have as many tabs as you wish and for quick previews just reuse the preview tab.

6 Likes

@George

With this implementation I cannot find anyway to get to the actual JSON file from within Wappler of the SC. I found this useful to manually edit in the case of bugs, custom work. Now if I open it up in the SC panel, or in the files panel it just opens the UI version - not the JSON version of the file.

Can you advise where/how without using an external editor

Agree, now gotten use to this and being able to do a quick check

Yes work on a large iMac.

• if preview action is edited - it becomes a permanent tab

I like this idea but: as long as this process is absolutely clear to the user and the difference between preview mode and edit mode is a no brainer! I can see this generating more than a few requests for help if not clear - especially for the new user.

So what happens if you have the same action open in preview and permanent tabs? If both are editable it could cause some troubles. I think I would make preview tabs non-editable to avoid big mistakes.

I am assuming that if you have a SC in a preview and you double click or make a change it will convert to permanent and it will no longer be a preview tab. You wonā€™t be able to have it as preview and permanent at the same time.

2 Likes

I just tested out my theory and it appears the team has already thought of that. You indeed CAN NOT have it open twice.

Hopefully that check remains if they go to a single click for preview and double click for permanent.

1 Like

So letā€™s complicate the wheel ā€¦

Wappler 4

GrabacioĢn de pantalla 2021-06-10 a la(s) 20.21.38

Wappler 3

GrabacioĢn de pantalla 2021-06-10 a la(s) 20.23.03

Do you really think this will be easier for those who start using Wappler?
Someone who is starting must be taught that if you press once you will see everything in reduced form, if you press twice you will open a tab but that it will not be fixed unless you make a change, if you make a change you will have to press command or control + s and then close the tab ā€¦

Before, you just had to click on the Api action to change something and save ā€¦

I ask again, do you really think it will be easier for those who start with Wappler?

It's already mentioned above by George that this isn't how it will work.

I think that way is much better.

Hi Brad, yes, I read it but I still believe that for those who start using Wappler it is still more complicated than before and on the other hand adding the extra step of having to close a tab for just making a small change, slows down the workflow .
I respect the work of the Wappler team but I keep seeing and thinking itā€™s a bad idea.

I think double clicking to open and edit the action keeps the UI consistent as you have to double click a file to open it in the editor. So now it will be the same as working on a regular file.

I originally didnā€™t care for the idea much either. But after using it all day it feels very natural. Once we can have multiple actions in tabs it will be even better. It is actually nice when working on ore than on action or just having a second action open for comparison purposes.

I agree, the current version just doesnā€™t make any sense but the proposed way by George seems to be a good fit. Canā€™t wait to try that method out.

1 Like

We are going to have to start printing banknotes that say ā€œin George we trustā€ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and whatever it ends up being I will continue to use Wappler because at the end of the day it is the only software that today is worthwhile in a market flooded by programs that do not have even half of benefits that Wappler has for those who know code and for those who do not know.

I care about these changes because time is very important in my case and anything that reduces the time I am sitting or standing in front of the computer is welcome.

2 Likes

I think the new tabs will be better for new users. It is important that there is consistency in the UI, keep the left sidebar for navigation, you select can see there all your pages, assets, server actions, routes etc. Double click on one of them and it will open in an editor tab. This behavior should be the same in all the panels on the left side, that way it will be easier for new users to get started. It will not help if each panel has a different way of editing.

An other advantage is that there is more place, we will not be limited to the small sidebar. This will remove several dialogs that we have like the query builder, they will be moved inside the editor tab in the future.

6 Likes

Iā€™m very hopeful it will become a great solution but itā€™s not quite there yet. Bring on Beta 8 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow! This has to be big. Patrick is here wasting his precious time explaining something obvious to us plebs. Iā€™ve never seen him explaining a rationale. He is becoming weak with age.

His posts are normally of the type ā€œSee dumbass! you are doing it all wrongā€ but sugar coated. Teo is the one that doesnā€™t care too much about sugar coating. And why would he? Sugar is bad for health.

2 Likes

Can someone please point out if it is possible to get to the code file for a SC from within Wappler? This is what used to happen when you clicked ā€˜editā€™. Iā€™ve asked George twice with no reply.

You should be able to go to it in your files panel and open it from there.

You canā€™t anymore. In principle they donā€™t want us to do this.

Itā€™s convenient in some cases though. In my case when I need to rename something and perform a search and replace.

I did request to add the same approach to the possible views of a SC. Similar to what we have in webpages: Design, Code and Split.

So for SCs we would have: Flow and Code. But the team wasnā€™t very keen on the idea.

So I just have to resort to VSC now.

nope. If you go to the file itself within files and click edit - it opens the preview tab - it did in the last version anyway.