Visual Expression Builder - display more text

It would be helpful if the new Expression Builder could display more information. In many cases a simple binding will be displayed, eg like this:

…and you might assume that was all. However in this case, switching off the new feature, what is displayed is more informative:

In this example it would be helpful if there were at least some indication that there is more to the expression than is displayed.

In this example, an indication is given that something’s missing, but what is displayed is not very useful:

… compared to it was before:

(and in this case, clicking the lightening bolt displays the whole expression).

Request: could the new visual indicators use the maximum space available in the UI, and also indicate if what is displayed has been truncated.

Hi Tom,

I don’t agree with your first case. Actually the information there is much more cleaner that a formatter has been applied. The “f” in front and the green color indicates that. So in first sight you don’t need to know what formatting is applied you need to know on which field. And if you are interested in the whole formatter you can hover.

Maybe even better we can implement a double click that will get you straight to the formatter dialog.

The second case with complex expressions I do agree - maybe we should shorten them differently so you see both fields (as shorten tags) and the comparison operator clearly.

3 Likes

Thanks George. I must admit I had vaguely noticed the ‘f’ but it hadn’t occurred to me what it was for. It’s certainly helpful and it does make things cleaner.

In general, having complete expressions displayed when hovering will be a considerable improvement. Double-clicking to get straight to the formatter dialog would be very useful.

1 Like