Using a contact form on mobile device

I have a question. I have a contact form that works just fine on a PC/Mac. Tested with FF, Chrome, Safari, DuckDuckGo, and Edge. All work.

However; on a mobile device the when I click the submit button it does nothing. I have tested from several IOS devices and they all do the same thing. Even tested with FF on IOS and Safari. No prompts. It does a verification check and lights all the boxes green but never submits.

How do I go about determining or debugging on a mobile device for this?

I’ve never used the Develop Tools from a mobile but a quick ChatGPT tells me I can do this on an iPhone. I can’t think of anything off the top of my head that would prevent it on mobile if it’s the same website as on desktop. But checking the developer tools for an error may help.

Do you by some chance run your form api from a onClick event rather than a submit button? OnClick events may work different on a mobile.

Opening Developer Tools on Safari for iPhone isn’t as straightforward as on desktop browsers, but it’s still possible. Here’s how you can do it:

1. Enable Safari Developer mode on your Mac: First, you need a Mac with Safari installed. Open Safari, go to Preferences > Advanced, and check the box next to “Show Develop menu in menu bar”.

2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac: Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac.

3. Enable Web Inspector on your iPhone: On your iPhone, go to Settings > Safari > Advanced, and toggle on “Web Inspector”.

4. Open Safari on your iPhone: Launch Safari and navigate to the website you want to inspect.

5. Access Developer Tools on your Mac: On your Mac, open Safari and go to the menu bar. You should now see a “Develop” option. Click on it, and you’ll see your iPhone listed there. Hover over it, and you’ll see the tabs open on your iPhone. Click on the one you want to inspect.

6. Inspect the website: Once you’ve selected the tab, a new window will open on your Mac showing the Developer Tools for that tab. You can now inspect the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript of the website, debug, and perform other developer tasks.

This method allows you to use the Safari Developer Tools on your Mac to inspect and debug websites running on your iPhone. It’s a bit more involved than accessing Developer Tools directly on the iPhone, but it provides a powerful set of tools for web development and debugging.

Be sure to have Debug turned on in your API Settings. as well.

Do you have a link? I can inspect it now for you

Please post your form code here.

So I am determined to find out what is causing this. I am using a different approach and trying to use SMTP instead of serverdefault for my mail configuration.

Using SMTP and SSL for my mail I get this message:

code 2
file “/web/dmxConnectLib/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/PHPMailer.php”
line 2008
message “SMTP Error: data not accepted.”
trace “#0 /web/dmxConnectLib/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/PHPMailer.php(1648): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->smtpSend(‘Date: Tue, 30 J…’, ‘Name:\r…’)\n#1 /web/dmxConnectLib/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/PHPMailer.php(1486): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->postSend()\n#2 /web/dmxConnectLib/modules/mail.php(133): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->send()\n#3
/web/dmxConnectLib/lib/App.php(206): modules\mail->send(Object(stdClass), ‘’, NULL)\n#4
/web/dmxConnectLib/lib/App.php(146): lib\App->execSteps(Object(stdClass))\n#5
/web/dmxConnectLib/lib/App.php(135): lib\App->exec(Object(stdClass), false)\n#6
/web/dmxConnectLib/lib/App.php(113): lib\App->exec(Object(stdClass))\n#7
/web/dmxConnect/api/contact.php(8): lib\App->define(Object(stdClass))\n#8 {main}”

I am thinking this might be something related to sending SMTP to 3rd party provider. I own the web server (Linux) however; I am using a 3rd party mail host.

I am trying to work thru this now.

I have seen on other forums having to update the php.ini
sendmail_from =
sendmail_path =

If any of you know this part greatly appreciate some guidance.

sendmail_from would be an address.

sendmail_path is usually default:

/usr/sbin/sendmail

Please do what I suggested in another topic:

so that we can see a more detailed error message.

So the smtp debug helped greatly.

Here is my quick question so I know going forward on configuraitons.

Using an API and the send action for the Sender email. I was using the $_Post.email from the form where I was asking for the individuals email. I used the $_Post.name for the Senders Name from that same form

Is that not correct as far as a configuration?

I am now using my Global Mailer email and name and this works. If I used any email from my own domain btw it also did work. Figured that out thru the debug.

When I was using was the $_Post.email it failed stating that the email had no permissions to send. Exact message was:
CLIENT: 550 5.1.0 Sender is not allowed to send from mydomain.com (R2)

SMTP ERROR: DATA END command failed: 550 5.1.0 Sender is not allowed to send from mydomain.com (R2)

Thank you