Updated my NPM packages, including Redis - it's throwing errors now

I’ve updated all my npm packages, including redis (3.1.2 → 4.3.1 ) and redis connect(6.0.0 → 6.1.3).

I’m getting the following error:

This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). The promise rejected with the reason:
Error: The client is closed
    at Commander._RedisClient_sendCommand (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:415:31)
    at Commander.commandsExecutor (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:170:154)
    at Commander.BaseClass.<computed> [as get] (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/commander.js:8:29)
    at RedisStore.get (/opt/node_app/node_modules/connect-redis/lib/connect-redis.js:33:19)
    at session (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express-session/index.js:485:11)
    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)
    at trim_prefix (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:328:13)
    at /opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:286:9
    at Function.process_params (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:346:12)
    at Function.process_params (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@sentry/tracing/cjs/integrations/node/express.js:266:34)

This seems to be caused completely by updating redis. There’s something in the code that isn’t ready for the updated version?

I’ve tried downgrading the connect-redis again, that didn’t work. Same error.
Then I downgraded redis as well, back to 3.1.2 and that got rid of the error.

Redis 4 has breaking API changes, it should work with legacyMode: true.

You can overwrite the wappler config with a user config file, create a file called user_config.json and place it in app/config.

{
  "redis": {
    "url": "redis://redis",
    "legacyMode": true
  }
}
1 Like

Not working for me

{"status":"500","message":"The client is closed","stack":"Error: The client is closed\n    at Commander._RedisClient_sendCommand (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:482:31)\n    at Commander._RedisClient_legacySendCommand (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:448:105)\n    at Commander.sendCommand (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:420:114)\n    at <computed> [as get] (/opt/node_app/node_modules/@redis/client/dist/lib/client/index.js:466:27)\n    at RedisStore.get (/opt/node_app/node_modules/connect-redis/lib/connect-redis.js:33:19)\n    at session (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express-session/index.js:485:11)\n    at Layer.handle [as handle_request] (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95:5)\n    at trim_prefix (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:328:13)\n    at /opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:286:9\n    at Function.process_params (/opt/node_app/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:346:12)"}
    "connect-redis": "^6.0.1",
    "redis": "^4.6.5",

And with connect-redis 7, it crashes completely

"connect-redis": "^7.0.1",
    "redis": "^4.6.5",
server-connect:setup:session init session store { '$type': 'redis', ttl: 86400000 } +0ms
TypeError: require(...) is not a function
    at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/node_app/lib/setup/session.js:17:48)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1254:14)
    at Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1308:10)
    at Module.load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1117:32)
    at Module._load (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:958:12)
    at Module.require (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1141:19)
    at require (node:internal/modules/cjs/helpers:110:18)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/node_app/lib/server.js:21:17)
    at Module._compile (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1254:14)
    at Module._extensions..js (node:internal/modules/cjs/loader:1308:10)
[nodemon] clean exit - waiting for changes before restart

My config.json is as below:

"redis": {
    "url": "redis://redis",
    "legacyMode": true
  },
  "session": {
      "store": {
        "$type": "redis",
        "ttl": 86400
      }
    }