Ultra fast web development with Docker in Wappler

Thanks Teodor

Sharing the drives was straightforward and the configuration went ahead without any problems.

However, having entered the default database settings into the new target:

I tried a few options, but with these settings the familar ‘querying database’ message appeared, so I imagine at least most of the settings are correct.

Don’t create a new connection, but instead use the Load Database connection button and load the database connection which has been automatically created for you. Its name is db :slight_smile:

Thanks George. I didn’t notice a message about allowing access to the drives, but it’s simple to do.

It’s useful to know that the containers should be left as Linux, even on Windows (if I’ve understood correctly).

1 Like

That was simple - a bit too simple. In case anyone else is trying to make things more difficult than they should be :slightly_smiling_face:, here is how you to set up the connection. Choose this option:

That’s it!

Now I can see the sample databases ready to go.

1 Like

There are also sample images for the users and images database tables.
You can directly bind all the data on the page, and you will see the images as well :slight_smile:

So this will help many users (some of them already complained about this, here, in the last few weeks) directly start working with dynamic data and explore the server side options without dealing with local server set up etc.

Out of curiosity guys. When did you write your first line of code related to docker?

Don’t tell me it was when all the bubble fuss started :joy:

I wouldn’t be able to believe that even if experimental you were able to ship this in just a few weeks.

4 Likes

After setting up the database, I set up a new connection in Navicat* - no problem, though port 9906 is needed, not 3306 used in the connection in Wappler.

The thing I probably like most about developing locally, as far the database is concerned, is running mysql_query.log - so I can exactly what queries are run as I use Server Connect etc… I have some queries which are very long. This is wonderful for debugging.

I clicked the Show Logs button in the new Docker toolbar. I wasn’t too optimistic - and was right not to be. It probably needs some research into Docker… It would be a very useful to feature to add unless it’s already easy to do.

Apart from these minor issues - and trying the new features out rather quickly as I have to go out - the implementation of Docker seems really well done and very simple to set up (as far as I can see - as I said, having almost zero knowledge of it).

*I should have clarified: I set up Navicat to connect to the new database Wappler had configured.

2 Likes

We were tracking Docker developments for a while as it is the future of app deployment.

But recently we got a nice tech get together with some beers and suddenly it all made sense - so we integrated it in Wappler :slight_smile:

also Docker has done tremendous growth in the last year and make it extremely easy to use even for less technical people. Their developer community is also huge And very devoted.

5 Likes

That makes sense. It just seems that all the pieces are falling in place at perfect timing :slight_smile:

Congrats in this launch! It’s huge.

3 Likes

Over beers … I love you guys! :wink:

2 Likes

Very cool! I can’t say I fully understand all of the benefits but I’ll start reading. Can this build database tables for you?

The database creator is yet to come to Wappler.

With the Docker integration there a few sample Database tables which you can use to play with the dynamic data and test it on your pages.

So we are not really ready to dump MAMP and XAMP. You still need the tool to add your own database tables. But I sense something is in the make … :slight_smile:

Why can’t you dump them?

Ok, you can dump those two, but still need a database tool, that was what I meant.

1 Like

You don’t need to deal with installing and configuring WAMP/XAMP server on your system anymore. Just click the little rocket icon and Docker will start everything.
You can use any tool like MySQL workbench, navicat or similar to add and configure tables in the database, but yes - the database creator tool will come to Wappler soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

This is DOPE! :ok_hand:t4::sunglasses:

Used Docker for tests some years before but that move with Wappler is DOPE!!! Amazing idea and a laster targeted path to the future! Also porting projects or moving/staging to cloud is quicker and OS or platform related problems when going live less important. Maybe makes whole thing bit more complex especially with ports and already installed virtual environments. Sadly I have no active project with Wappler :smirk:

Imagine a Wappler Marketplace with some prebuilt Wappler Kickstart projects!

… Bye bye webflow

1 Like

As the Wappler project folder is self contained and docker settings are also saved in the .wappler folder.

So sharing the whole project folder - will directly build and launch included services! Like the web server and used database - populated with data!

So the Wappler project folder can be easily shared on github so everybody can just clone it as a new project in Wappler, press the launch icon and have everything up and running!

9 Likes

That’s amazing! This will be very helpful for learning to use Wappler. Can’t wait for someone to post a project that I can poke at and learn from. I hope some tutorials can include finished products this way :slight_smile: Great work!