Twilio for sms

Has anyone integrated Twilio sms service in their app?

I use SendGrid and wonder how hard to integrate sms via twilio.

Would this ask be an option for a feature request given Wappler already has Sendgrid as email service?

Basically it is becoming common for emails not to get through email spam filters (especially office 365) so now looking for sms as an option to invite users to my app.

Surely Twilio would be a logical integration fow Wappler given it supports SendGrid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Try postmark if you are having deliverability issues.

Integration wise - Looks like a simple api call from their docs

Yes, I use postmark and the integration is just and handful of api calls you can easily create from their docs… am happy to share if people want to see them!

Thanks @mgaussie

@Antony. This would be useful!

I will still need to integrate sms messaging. Anyone done this help provide some options?

@StevenM I am in the beginning stages of using Twilio’s Conversations API. So far I can create, update and delete conversations and participants as well as send and receive messages in my app created with Wappler. Their documentation is pretty easy to follow. I am using both REST and their PHP APIs

If I get some time I’ll post more about it.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tried to work with Twilio but some example would be great!!

I would love to see more about your Twilio experiences.

2 Likes

Like I said I’m in a beginning stages but I put a reminder on my calendar for 2 weeks to revisit this thread when I have something better to show you guys. Plus I have a deadline for a different client due Monday so I won’t have time to put together a good demo for you guys.

Once you get past the initial set up and start seeing how things work, the api works well and the documentation is straight forward. One thing I am disappointed in is the lack of search ability using the api.
Such as adding a query string to the url https://conversations.twilio.com/v1/Conversations/?friendly_name=Test
The only thing you can add is the SID to pull a particular conversation or message etc.

I figured I must be missing something in the documentation so I contacted support and asked about it and they confirmed there is no way to search like that. What you have to do is save the field you want to your own database and search that way. Not horrible but definitely slows down the development process.

2 Likes

Awesome! That would be great :+1: when you have the time.

I apologize for not following up on this. I did get it working in PHP but something recently happened and it stopped working. I’m currently rebuilding it in Nodejs, hopefully this time I’ll remember to come back and put some examples haha.

2 Likes

I did a short NodeJS explainer here: Setting Up Sending SMS With The Twilio API

2 Likes

We use SendGrid for our email and integrated Twilio SMS. It worked but we ended up dropping it and went to ClickSend. It’s cheaper and SMS deliverability is excellent.

I’m currently using Sendgrid/Twilio combo but am not happy with the Sendgrid failure rate for email. There are a lot of Gmail users who arent receiving our system generated emails.

Did you see the same with Sendgrid?

We had issues in the first week with hotmail users. The issue, and it will be the same for you, is that the shared IP they’d put us on by default had been blacklisted by hotmail. We reported the issue and said we were going to move providers so they upgraded us to a clean IP pool which solved the problem. There is also a paid option for your own clean IP - we haven’t done this.

Contact the tech support and report your issue and they’ll do the same for you I would suggest.

You can check the bounces report at any time for th reason - typically it’s the Spam filter associating your IP with issues

1 Like

That’s very helpful, I’ll get on to them and arrange a solution. I’ve had no issues (yet) with their SMS but if I do I’ll consider taking a peek at ClickSend. I’m finding SMS calendar reminders are becoming more and more of a necessity at my end so this is more mission critical for the time being.

Appointment reminders are a big one for us. We send '000s daily across the UK

1 Like

I have experienced similar issues with some standard mailboxes and gmail.
Gmail seems very fussy re presence and configuration of spf and moreover DKIM records which is always worth checking if its gmail only.

1 Like