Trying out a new server

Evening all, just trying out a new server that I’ve installed. Just wanted to get some feedback about speed from anyone who has a couple of minutes to try it.
I’ve thrown together a quick site for testing, so if you could just view the website, so I can start putting some load onto the server to see what happens.
Also if you could let me know about loading times that would be awesome.

https://gunneryshootingclub.com.au/

Very fast!

1 Like

Thats good to hear, thanks for that.

1 Like

Like a speeding bullet!

:smiley:

1 Like

haha good analogy @Dave, it’s looking promising. I’ve built a home server and from everything I am seeing and with testing so far it’s running quicker than a dedicate one I pay thousands a year for. LOL if I can cut that cost then more beers for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very fast to load!

430ms here in South Africa… i dont think we count :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just keep in mind if this is sitting on the end of your home broadband your speed is limited to your upload speed from your service provider. If you have ADSL where upload is slower than download this may be significant. I think some speed tests with a few largish images would be advisable

Fast.

What did you use to set it up?

have a check now @Hyperbytes have uploaded the original test site after a few alterations on the server. It sill seems very quick.

software or hardware?

Man, I would like to know it all… Ha!

I have a Mac mini M1 that I would love to get up and running. Anything you can share would be much appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time.

I’ve put in a dedicated server (16 core 2.4 with 24GB Ram and SSD’s) running Ubuntu Server on it.
Connection I’ve got a 46GB upload and 950 download on fibre.
Still not 100% sure on it yet, as its only got small website on it. But I’m going to get some more sites on there from my other hosted server and see how it all holds up with some traffic running through.

Interesting after some testing, on the website that I’m testing… on GTmatrix on the managed dedicated server I pay a lot of money for I am getting grade D
Yet on the new server (that I am not paying a lot of money for) I get grade A and you can certainly see the speed difference!

Great info!

From a D to an A is a remarkable improvement… and to save the extra cash is even better.

Once you get the other sites up and running, I believe that you will be able to confirm that your move was a good one.

I’m looking into turning my M1 Mac mini into a local development server. I’m just lagging on the move, and still gather information on the best route to take.

Thanks for your very helpful insight.

Lighthouse report from UK access

Cheers Brian,
I’m mainly concentrating on the AU speed at the moment, as thats where the company is and supplies to.
Biggest thing for me is at the moment it is quicker than the server I am paying for, so hopefully it works out well and I can save some money. :slight_smile:

It should work perfectly as long as you don’t hit a load level where your connection speed proves limiting. I guess with that much business you won’t care too much about server costs! :wink:

I run an IIS and a WAMP server on a Window Server 2012R2 datacentre. Even on a 30MB upload connection (currently on 80mb/ 30mb ADSL) it works well for my own needs but i only use it for development, not production.

Should have synchronous 1000mb connection installed next month so it can fly.

lol I wish we could have synchronous 1000mb over here…lucky man

It’s actually really easy @revjrblack

You can set up any PC as a Linux server by installing something like Ubuntu server free (actually even the desktop version with GUI will work) . For simple development work a windows 10 PC with WAMP installed would suffice or a mac equivalent

Add the PC to your network, set it’s internal IP address as static in your router.

The set a route in your router to forward port 80 to that internal IP address.

If you have a fixed IP from your service provider simply point the DNS “A” record of your domain to that IP address

If you have a dynamic address, register with a DDNS service such as noip.com, set a dynamic name i.e something like myserver.noip,biz (they offer various options) the create a CNAME record in the DNS of your domain registrar to point to that dynamic name.
That should route all traffic to your home/ office server

Effectively your domain is:

1. routed to your Dynamic IP Server via the cname record i.e. myserver.noip.biz
  2. the ddns then routes the request to your home/ office router’s external IP address
  3. your router detects activity on port 80 and re-routes the request to your servers internal IP address.
1 Like