Tips for replicating a project following the disastrous announcements of Bubble

Good morning all,

Like many (small) companies, I find myself with a knife to my throat following the announcement of Bubble, which leads me prematurely to think about another solution.
For some time, I thought of going under Wappler to make a local application but urgently, I have to resume my Web application which is intended to manage patients within a practice.

I turn to you to find out in which area I need to perfect my knowledge knowing that initially I used for the Frontend: Bubble and my Backend is split in 2, a part under Bubble and the health data under Firestore – REST API (In progress).
So I have to reproduce my frontend under Wappler + BDD access under Firestore.
I also specifically need the following:

• Authentication
  • Payment by Stripe
  • Role/security (a user belongs to a practice and should only see its patients)
  • Invoice export in PDF format
  • Mailing (Sendinblue)
  • SMS (Twillio)

I have been browsing the Forum for a long time in order to retain some interesting “posts” now not being at all “stalled” in terms of development, I would like to know which languages ​​I have to learn in order not to be blocked every 5 minutes; If I understood correctly :

• Node.js
  • JavaScript (in order to understand node.js)
  • Bootstrap 5
  • Html/CSS (I have notions)
  • SQL and relationnal database (Ok)

And finally
• Training on Wappler

Am I good in relation to my project or do I have to change certain things in my training?

Thank you in advance for reading this pad.

1 Like

Wappler can do all that.

Wappler can write code in PHP or NodeJS. I’ve picked PHP as it seems easier to get a quick grasp of it.

I use MySQL for the database but you can use AWS, PostgreSQL, firestore, etc…

It is all very flexible, but with a stiff learning curve if you don’t know coding at all.

I suggest you learn a bit about the principles of relational database tables. Wappler DB manager will create it all for you but you need basic understanding of primary / foreign key concepts and 1-to-many and many-to-many relationships.
Helps too if you understand how CSS and Bootstrap 4 and 5 works. No need to learn all about it since Wappler does it all but understanding how they work will save you time and reduce headaches.

I hear Node is better than PHP but I’m afraid to make the switch from PHP. I know zero JS…

But that does not prevent me from asking many ridiculous questions on the forum :sweat_smile:
I’ve learned a lot thanks to the community’s availability and patience with me.

Hello “Fred_K” and thank you for this early response.
I modified my 1st message to add that I have a good command of relational databases.
But I want to use firestore which is nosql.

You will never touch NodeJS’s code, everything is abstracted by Wappler :slight_smile:

Following that logic, you don’t need to learn JavaScript. It’s fun to have a sense of JavaScript, but you don’t really need it use to Wappler. Consider the user above (@Fred_K) is using Wappler without knowing JavaScript, so I’d say you can get pretty far :slight_smile:

I think Ken’s course (Unique Ideas) does a great job introducing Bootstrap inside Wappler

Edit: Regarding “firestore”, I haven’t heard of it, but you can use any REST API pretty easily within Wappler

Thank you for this answer which suddenly is a bit confusing for me.
To which language should I turn in order to be able to achieve my project?
Being launched on Javascript, I will still finish ;).
Should I repeat:
HTML - CSS and train me under Bootstrap?

To get started, I would not turn to any language (as @Apple notes above). The need for that will be down the road a bit–better to get the basics understood else it will all look very daunting!

Start knowing that whatever you want to achieve, you will be able to do it with Wappler. When you hit something Wappler doesn’t natively handle, that will be the time to expand your knowledge. Review the posts of this forum where many of us learned what was needed to accomplish a task.

Even html and css can be ignored in the early days…use the Wappler UI and see how far you can get. In doing this, you will gradually learn the bootstrap and css basics.

2 Likes

Thanks for that answer.