TimescaleDB time-series database support

TimescaleDB is a time-series database based on PostgreSQL

Wappler already supports PostgreSQL, so it’s a good start for adding a time-series database to Wappler as no primary changes are required

To do:

• Add TimescaleDB to database software choices (change docker-compose generation), allow choosing between “open-source” or “community edition” (community edition is more complete, but the license restricts third-parties from offering hosting services, so you can’t have an unauthorized third-party to host it for you)
  • Add “Create Hypertable” button near “Create Table” on database manager (for TimescaleDB databases only) (while you’re at it, also check this feature request)

Don’t know what else needs in the immediate, but that should be a good start

Pinging people that might be interested:
@JonL @s.alpaslan

Hi @Apple

postgresql is already running as timeseries. It is only necessary to add the timeseries extension. It can move forward with the existing wappler without making too many changes, but it would be more extensive to have a timeseries db, except for postgresql.

Are you referring to TimescaleDB extension or another one?

hi @JonL ,

I can’t say for sure that it should be. There are many extensions. We need to decide together which extension is correct. That’s why I couldn’t say for sure.

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you meant that there are several time-series extensions out there for postgresl.

The problem with this is knex. The library they use extensively in the UI and nodejs to connect to the databases. That’s why another DB that doesn’t play well with knex won’t be easy to integrate. And that’s why I guess @Apple suggested TimescaleDB.

1 Like