The best reason to go PWA

FYI, this forum is a PWA. This reply is from my phone.

2 Likes

I came across this article from October, 2020
It reveals that Microsoft is PUSHING PWA’s for accessing their own Office cloud services.

The main development hurdle for them AT THIS MOMENT is that the vaunted “work offline” advantage of a PWA is not available for Office services if your device is not online. But, they ARE Microsoft & I assume they are already working on this.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3586195/microsoft-is-encouraging-office-pwas-which-could-change-how-you-work-with-apps.html

1 Like

Our most recent Project is now a PWA (took about ten minutes to conform to PWA requirements). Mobile, Web, and now PWA from a single Project source (all thanks to Wappler).

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

Actually all the new streaming games services like Nvidia gforce now and google stadia are all PWAs as Apple won’t allow then in App Store.

And they run streaming games in the browser! Who would ever thought that would be possible

5 Likes

We’ll go back to PWAs… Need to figure out the caching issues first though. No good for Security Provider and with users switching to lots of other users accounts within a PWA the cache never clears unless an update is pushed? Not a big problem. Seem to be plenty of options to work around this, but no rush! Just not right now.

Some Western world web app developers apparently haven’t travelled enough to understand that their own speedy internet services connections are far superior to those in the majority of nations.

Resources loaded by websites & mobile apps must be as lightweight as possible. It is not old-fashioned to look at image, js, css files, even CDN loading and consider where to prune components for the sake of the most essential usability online.

Excerpt from the linked article:

All those lessons we learned optimizing web pages for dial-up became super-useful again when mobile took off, and they continue to be applicable in the work we do for a global audience today. Unreliable or high latency network connections are still the norm in many parts of the world, reminding us that it’s never safe to assume a technical baseline lifts evenly or in sync with its corresponding cutting edge.

https://alistapart.com/article/request-with-intent-caching-strategies-in-the-age-of-pwas/

1 Like

Good example of MAJOR companies who can not qualify for inclusion in the Apple App store.

I understand the necessity of having a “safe” App source that the user can trust. But Apple’s record so far is that too many Apps cleared by Apple were NOT Safe and even predatory in transmitting highly sensitive data to third/fourth party bad actors.

And Apple has been, with evidence, accused of simply prioritizing app approval based on whether given app will sell Apple devices or online services.

2 Likes

Maybe the best option is make a PWA and put it in a Webview(Framework 7, Flutter, React). And maybe add a onboard screen and something else like this stores think they are native.

For me the problem with the PWA is how you put it in your home screen. Should be some option to put on the screen instead of the first notification.

I am the type of person that I prefer web apps than native apps.

1 Like