Testing mobile apps

I didn’t sufficiently clarify my 2nd question.

By “test the mobile device” I meant ANY User’s mobile device – iPhone, Android, iPad, etc.

If a Wappler developer suspects or knows that there are liable to be some systemic incompatabilities that may prevent a particular User’s iPhone model, for example, to install the wappler app with full functionality, as the developer intended.

Besides all the regular app simulators & testing software bugs, etc that a Wappler developer does to insure his/her app is passing all tests. – are there situations where a Wappler developer of a mobile app might want to give the new User a pre-install “device system test”?

Sorry you kind of lost me here. What exactly do you want to test and when?

Sometimes I want to install a program on a desktop and
the developers include a System Test option before I can download and install.

I give permission and the result after it quickly runs determines whether my system is incompatible for the installation of a program I wanted to install.

Perhaps I need to go get a plugin, or an update to an existing installation that operates as a required system.

I update my system and try again. NOW I can INSTALL the program I was wanting in the first place.

Is this a situation you’ve encountered as developers where, for instance. a Wappler download would not work because an individual user’s system was missing elements or needed to update their own system?

All of this can be done through the Developer Console on Google Play. Can monitor crashes among a dozen other metrics. Google Play also carries out stringent tests on the applications you upload. You can also allow for a testing group to be defined and allowed access to pre-production/release candidates of your application for testing purposes and debugging. You can then monitor issues within your Developer Account. When you build you include all dependencies in that build. So there should rarely be any issues with having to download missing libraries or dependencies… Is this what you mean @NewMedia?

You can also carry out a multitude of code inspections within Android Studio should you wish to debug further. Any incompatibilities will be acknowledged and displayed, including details for suggested resolutions. I’ve no idea about IOS and the Apple side though… @brad?

I haven’t come across check in Apple Dev Console like they have in Google Play. Closest I can think of is that xCode has many simulators and you can set your minimum iOS version.

I think Google Play does a better job in that area … but there is thousands of Android models. Impossible to test for all of them.

I think what @NewMedia is asking for is a check that runs on client device that checks if it will run before the app actually gets installed. Cool idea. Just not sure it’s possible.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Gentlemen!
And Dave, that is indeed the idea I was investigating.

1 Like

There are API versions for this purpose. There is not even a need for verification. You can just see if your version supports the android version you are interested in or not? If yes, then 100% of your application will start (if there are no errors in it). If not, then you need to make additional builds with an API that supports the required version of android.

Another question is how your app will look on different devices. What bugs and where will be present in visual and logical terms. But this cannot be done through automated testing. Manual testing only. And for these purposes, there are a lot of emulators to test the application. But even then, you can not be 100% sure that the application will work without bugs.

The best option is testing on real devices.

1 Like