Test driven development

Hello dear wappler superstars !

I was wondering if some of you are succesfully implementing test driven development within their Wappler applications.

This is something I never did so far (even when I was coding a bit in PHP) but as I’m getting more and more into the construction of our payment system back-end…
It seems more and more critical to be able to build upon a “bug free” basis and detect regressions early on.

Any feedback on this would be very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much and have a great day !

@jeoff75,

I will admit, I had to google what test driven development was because I was not familiar with the term.

For myself, I have gotten into the habit of testing my pages after each major section is added in. For example, if I do a insert modal, I’ll test it. Then add app structure validation. Test it again. Then add server validation. Test it again. Then look at any repeats or conditions I might need and test it again.

I am not sure if that is what you mean or not, but I have found that it works for me.

On thing I have not been doing, but I am going to start doing is catching errors in the server side. It was recently brought up in a different thread and after doing some searching on the forum, I think I understand it more and I think it would be a good idea to start implementing on a regular basis. Catch, Server Connect?

Hi Jeoff,

We are closely following cypress (https://www.cypress.io/). As it is becoming the most powerful testing framework and testing tool.

So we are gathering ideas now how to integrate it in Wappler.

So go ahead and try it out and let us know what you think of it.

5 Likes

Thanks George, I’m checking this out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was wondering if there is any progress in the testing functionality within Wappler. I’ve recently watched some Ruby on Rails training on Youtube and I was very impressed by:

• easy addition of functionality with gems (such as a authentication module, no need to set all of that up. Just use a gem that adds this to your application)
  • awesome test driven development workflow.

Where you

• setup a Git project with some features in a backlog/doing/done structure
  • add tests to test this functionality
  • add code to add functionality
  • run tests to validate functionality.

Seems genius to me!

Btw, this is the video series I’ve been watching, in case anyone is interested (despite the fact that I work on NodeJS and not Ruby on Rails, I still thought it was very usefull):
Video series on Ruby on Rails (meal planning application)

1 Like