Templates for Server Connect

I’ve realised that there are sequences I do very regularly when creating a new server connect script.

Database Connection…Security Provider…Security Restrict are three things that generally go at the start of every one.

This made me think that being able to store templates to automate this would be very time-saving.

We could create a script and have a menu item to save that entire script as a template. Then, whenever a new one is created, click to use a template, select the one we want and it’s done.

Or even have a default template which is used every time a new script is created much like the default frameworks in the project settings.

Good idea?

I think this is a good idea, although I suppose it could be a problem if there are multiple database connections or security providers - and different settings for different projects.

It’s related to having a snippets feature - a long-requested feature for App Connect, but could perhaps be applied to Server Connect too.

1 Like

I think it could still work even with multiple database connections and security providers. I would be happy to create a ‘template’ called something like ‘main template for db 1’ or ‘admin template for sec 2’ and then I’d know what was what. Most projects (so far) have had a single db and security provider anyway.

I found myself quickly creating a few SC scripts in close succession and it was just repeating the processes of adding those key actions.

You can currently duplicate existing server actions, so you can store a few server actions as templates in a folder called templates and duplicate (and reuse) them when needed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a very interesting idea. I’ve just created a new action file and put in my three actions. I then duplicated it and dragged it to a new folder. I got the dialog making sure I wanted to do it so I said ‘yes’. It all seems fine but would there be any issues with moving action files to other folders?

This is a good way to work but I’d still like the full solution as the process of duplicating and dragging feels not much quicker than adding the three actions I start with.

No :slight_smile: all should be perfectly fine.

1 Like