Substring between { and } before .parseJSON()

Hi,
I am doing a String.parseJSON() on Server Side, however, sometimes the string used as input might have unnecessary characters before the first { or after the last } which generates an error from the parser.
How can I clean my string to remove the characters before the first { or after the last } before passing it to parseJSON()?
Many thanks

I would suggest finding a Regex pattern and using that.

Since you haven’t mentioned platform here is working solution for NodeJS: string.replace(/^(.+?){/,'{').replace(/}.*$/,'}')

1 Like

If JSON is valid there is no need to use parseJSON(), last Wappler updates fix that.

It is Node.JS indeed. It works well, thanks loads

Actually this is what I have in the code view of the Service Connect:

And yet it is not replacing the characters before { with {, can you please help me debug?
This is the text that is being outputted by the server connect:

{“NamesTextRaw”:"\n\n{\n “names”: [\n {\n “name”:
““NamesTextLeftTrimmed”:”\n\n{\n “names”: [\n {\n “name”:

Could you show a screenshot? NamesTextRaw looks weird

Sure thing here you go, it is a variable I have created:

Actually, I want a screenshot of the output of the server connect :sweat_smile:

Sure, here you go,
It does not fit on one screen, here are 2 samples:

I would have expected the “Here are two name suggestions and their descriptions:\n\n”
to be removed from NamesTextLeftTrimmed

And the full text is as follows:
{

“NamesTextRaw”:“Here are two name suggestions and their descriptions:\n\n{\n “names”: [\n {\n “name”: “CarePrint”,\n “description”: “A name that combines the words care and printing, suggesting a cutting-edge healthcare startup that uses 3D printing technology to offer personalized solutions for the elderly in Lebanon.”\n },\n {\n “name”: “ElderMate”,\n “description”: “A unique name that evokes the idea of a helpful, friendly companion for the elderly. The wordplay on mate and the word elder suggests a youthful energy coupled with experience and knowledge to provide top-notch AI healthcare services in Lebanon.”\n }\n ]\n}”,“NamesTextLeftTrimmed”:“Here are two name suggestions and their descriptions:\n\n{\n “names”: [\n {\n “name”: “CarePrint”,\n “description”: “A name that combines the words care and printing, suggesting a cutting-edge healthcare startup that uses 3D printing technology to offer personalized solutions for the elderly in Lebanon.”\n },\n {\n “name”: “ElderMate”,\n “description”: “A unique name that evokes the idea of a helpful, friendly companion for the elderly. The wordplay on mate and the word elder suggests a youthful energy coupled with experience and knowledge to provide top-notch AI healthcare services in Lebanon.”\n }\n ]\n}”,“NamesText”:“Here are two name suggestions and their descriptions:\n\n{\n “names”: [\n {\n “name”: “CarePrint”,\n “description”: “A name that combines the words care and printing, suggesting a cutting-edge healthcare startup that uses 3D printing technology to offer personalized solutions for the elderly in Lebanon.”\n },\n {\n “name”: “ElderMate”,\n “description”: “A unique name that evokes the idea of a helpful, friendly companion for the elderly. The wordplay on mate and the word elder suggests a youthful energy coupled with experience and knowledge to provide top-notch AI healthcare services in Lebanon.”\n }\n ]\n}”,“error”:“Parsing Error”}

Your API output looks a bit weird.
Did you tried to Fetch schema and just call api1.data.choises[0].message.content.name or api1.data.choises[0].message.content.description?

True the output is a bit uncommon, reason being that it is a string returned by OpenAI API. I am asking it in the prompt to return a JSON, however sometimes it returns a text saying: Here is the answer: and it is followed by a proper JSON, that’s why I am looking to remove the part before the { before ServerConnect can parse it

I tried this but it does not work, the step is skipped probably because it returns null or something given that ServerConnect interprets api1.data.choises[0].message.content as a string and not a JSON

Are you using NodeJS? I’ve solved this for you

Place file in extensions/server_connect/formatters/string.js:

exports.grabJson = function (str) {
    // Example input:
    // hello {"foo": "bar", "bar": {}} end of transmission
    // Grab the JSON and return it as an object
    // Find the first { and the last }
    let start = str.indexOf('{');
    let end = str.lastIndexOf('}');
    if (start === -1 || end === -1) {
        return null;
    }
    let json = str.substring(start, end + 1);
    try {
        return JSON.parse(json);
    }
    catch (e) {
        throw new Error(`Unable to parse JSON: ${json}`);
        //return null;
    }
}

The code was mostly written by Github Copilot, I wrote the first 5 lines which detail the formatter and its intended behaviour. In this case, I knew exactly how to build the code by hand, such as:

• I knew I had to use .indexOf to find the first and last occurrences of a certain character ({ and } respectively)
  • I knew I had to use substr (.substring) to copy a string starting on a certain index and ending in another index

Knowing the information above, I wrote the first 5 lines which allowed Copilot to write the rest, and it passed my sanity check (I saw it used .indexOf and .substring as I originally intended). Then I went to test it and it worked :slight_smile:

For the record, .indexOf and .substring are JavaScript methods and not Wappler-specific. Wappler has a built-in sub-string formatter, but I’m not sure about the .indexOf equivalent

2 Likes

WoW! This is amazing, a big thanks @Apple for the clear and comprehensive approach. Much appreciated. It is working like a charm.

1 Like