Strapi like database manager

Hello Everybody!

I guess that we all have some trouble using Wappler’s database manager for creating new columns or tables right now.

I’ve been using strapi for some time and I believe it’s a great database manager for creating new tables, references, and more. Is there any chance we could create something like Strapi integrated with Wappler?

Thanks

Yes please! I loooooove the whole interface of Strapi and the way you have instant access to a whole API library is just great! It also fixes things like created and updated dates automatically. And simple authentication!

Being able to access all your database data through the API is just super powerful as saves a lot of time.

Do you happen to know how you expose your database data with an API in Wappler?

I’m actually trying to use an Strapi created MySQL database with Wappler’s server connection. So I create all my tables using Strapi’s collection types interface. It’s the most intuitive tool I’ve tested at the moment, it creates the relationships tables with a few clicks and the media uploads are just great.

I leave all the authentication to Wappler’s server connect actions because it’s easier to work with. So basically I’m using Strapi for my tables and relationships creation and then I do all the CRUD using Wappler.

I’t would be great to create a tool that takes the best from Strapi’s collection types interface creation and merge it seamlessly with Wappler

1 Like

You can access the Strapi Data Api just as any other with the App Connect API Data Source.

Just use the Strapi API endpoints to the collections to get your data and you can use it then in App Connect to render on your pages.

Thanks George! This I already managed to do (but don’t really need, since I just connect to the database). I was wondering the other way around:

Strapi makes this awesome API endpoint automatically, with docs if you like. So I was wondering how I could achieve more or less the same thing in Wappler. So to create a database structure in Wappler and expose your datatypes to an external application.

Well with the server connect actions your are actually creating api endpoints. So just create the server connect actions and include the needed query in them.

If you don’t mind having another server and you are using postgresql you can use:

https://postgrest.org/

Ah okay, I didn’t know that. That’s actually very easy! :grin: :exploding_head:

Maybe Directus could be solution?
It allows to connect to existing database and operate with it in user-friendly UI. As shown in this video tutorial.
And this is open-source, that nice addition.

Also, NocoDB working in the same area. It gives familiar Airtable-like interface for exisiting SQL DB. But at the moment it is still raw and clunky, will wait.