Specific Documentation Describing All DMX Framework Updates and Bugs

As we know, Wappler is both a software product and a framework.

The software helps us build our apps, but the framework is actually a huge part of our apps.

When a new version of Wappler is released, there will undoubtedly be updates to the software, but not always to the framework.

This is a feature request that there is one location we can go to which describes the specific updates to the DMX framework for each release.

It is also a request that if a bug is reported which is part of the framework rather than the software, the details of that bug are immediately included in the listing.

This will allow us to make our own decisions about how those changes will effect our app and when is the right time to upgrade for the reliability of our products.

All changes are listed in detail on each update announcement at #wappler-general:announcements

1 Like

Yes @George, but not in any way that you can easily see what updates were made to the framework rather than the software… hence my request!

If you see heading with ‘App Connect’ or ‘Server Connect’ that indicates usually frameworks updates.

Okay, thanks @George !

So how can I see which bugs relate to the framework?

I personally think, as George points out, this is already well covered with each and every update Antony. We update our sites regularly (very important to keep on top of bug fixes, updates, etc, its simply good practice, and avoids issues moving forwards) with each new releases with no issues at all, everything is documented going way back (clearly marked Server Connect and App Connect, and any specific component changes/fixes). I don’t understand this request? Besides if you’re not going to update from 3.9.9 why the need for the request? :stuck_out_tongue: You will run in to your own problems soon if you don’t begin to update Wappler itself as you’ll be uploading so many changes (all documented) that your at risk of causing yourself a problem (possibly) that is totally unnecessary, by holding on to 3.9.9 for so long. Just my opinion.

Just take a look at the latest release notes for 4.1.1. All very clear what has been changed/fixed/updated.

Here is my challenge @dave

I want to upgrade to 4.x.

I want to do it with a release where the framework is totally stable.

Ideally, the first time, where it didn’t change from 3.9.9. Then I can get used to the software without also concerning myself with the framework.

I believed the initial releases of 4.0 to have exactly the same framework as 3.9.9 - I asked Teodor about this a few weeks ago.

But it seems clear that 4.1.0 and 4.1.1 have changes to the framework, as I read of at least one framework bug in 4.1.0 that caused apps to stop working.

So I’d just like to see a simple list like this:

Framework   Changes/Bugs
=========================================
3.9.9       XYZ
4.0.0       None
4.0.1       None
4.0.2       None
4.0.7       None
4.1.0       ABC
            BUG 123

4.1.1       FIX - Bug 123
=========================================

Most other frameworks have this clarity of documentation - it is part of releasing and owning a professional product.

I am absolutely not going to update every week… it will be every few months.

My client’s businesses depend totally on my app, and I will not risk bugs in the framework disrupting their business or my reputation…

… and my app feels as complex as Wappler itself, so I cannot afford to test the whole thing every week!

Does that make sense?

1 Like

I think that goes for the majority of us here Antony. Its why you should be on top of the bug fixes and updates. We employ two Projects during a major migration. One live and functioning, usually legacy. We clone/duplicate this Project and apply all updates and changes, test and test again. We then replace, but always backup the original, and if no issues exist we archive the original. Its not difficult to do. Maybe you’ll need to copy a database, what does that take ten minutes? You don’t have to host remotely, and even if you do that’s rarely an issue to create a new DB and directory is it?

Its already covered in every release. Your above post of what you would like to see is already included. Like I said go look at the release notes for 4.1.1.

Then that is your choice but you are responsible for issues, not Wappler. Especially if there are several months between your updates.

Again I think the majority of us feel the same about our Clients applications, you’re no different.

Is this not what Clients pay for when they expect a service? We run checks every day on all our applications. We review all error logs for all our applications and servers/hosting services. We have clear channels for submitting bugs/problems/support for all our Clients.

I’m not here to argue Antony. Just trying to wrap my head around why you are requesting something already provided? See this is the importance of keeping on-top of things and up to date. That way the increments are tiny and not huge leaps between version changes.

Use your skills and set up a simple table, enter the Wappler Version, Server Connect, App Connect, and Component, with the changes. Add all the details from the changelogs posted with each release (since 3.9.9) and output what you want, will take you a couple of hours at maximum, just copy and paste in to the DB… Take things in to your own hands Antony. That is what we would do if it were required.

1 Like

Yes, and I’ll take a few months of my life and write all the documentation too while I am about it…

May I ask have you documented all the features of your application for your users in how to’s and guides with videos and images? Maybe you could share an example?

I’m not here to piss you off just noting my experiences with migration and updates. Take it or leave it mush. What works for us may not work for you, no need to get shitty Antony.

That is exactly my next month’s work before the full product launch! Just installed my spanky new Yeti microphone this morning…

1 Like

Feeling tired and a bit pissed off with a few bits of life right now, so sorry if my comment came across shitty.

I just hope for support or at least neutrality around documentation that makes Wappler easier to work with, not a load of advice about how I should assemble that documentation myself…

Oh god, everyone is about to wade in with comments now…

Personally I like the way the update documentation is done now. Very easy to read. Only takes a couple minutes a week. They are very well laid out and easy to find.

The more often you keep up with updates the least likely you are to experience an issue on update (You will eventually have to). In my opinion it is much safer to do the weekly updates than try and update a version that is ten versions old. That’s when I would expect problems.

2 Likes

Learn git. Update weekly. Use git. End your problems.

7 Likes

I hope you will share your project with us when it is done. You have put a lot of time into a single project. All the best to you man!

1 Like

Water off a ducks back Antony. Am too old to take things personally or hold grudges.

2 Likes

@Antony, as @JonL said, that’s exactly what you’re missing. Moreover, the history of changes will be visible in even more detail than you request here. You will be able to see not only which block of the framework has changed, but also the changes themselves in the form of lines of code. Just before updating, you save your stable version using git, and make updates. After that, the git tab will show all the changes in the code of your application that the update brought. It’s really very convenient and efficient. This is not counting the fact that git will save you during development many, many times.

I am very glad that your product is developing!

1 Like