Show data by groups? Accordion? Expanding Rows? Don't know what to call it

Simple example:
A database of people, in many states in the US.
I want to show a list of ALL 50 States, and have an ability to click on a state and see the people who are in that state in a simple table.

I’ll have to have a master list of states, so ALL are shown, even ones that have no people in them. Lots of threads and terms in the forum, but I don’t find anything that refers to the UI. (subform, subquery, nested query, multi-reference, etc etc)

Then click on a State and expand it.

This is extremely similar to a FAQ page, that uses an accordian control.

OR

I could have a Row Expansion icon in front. See all the states and easily expand the one to look at.

Of Course

The least “modern” would like a printed report and show everyone at one time and be really long – basically like a report with a group header on State. But certainly I should be able to do better than that.

I’ll want to click on a person and popup a detail page. I’ve done that before, I just can’t find any docs for this type of control in Wappler.

Who has an idea?

I am not on my computer at the moment but what you need to look for in the forums is ‘Nested Repeat Regions’.

Are you talking about a modal?

yes, but modal isn’t the point.

i don’t know how much time i’m supposed to piss away trying to get this to work.
its the same old thing - outdated docs.
frigging wasted about hour trying to get this to work.
per this doc: Nested Repeat Regions
i’m at this step:

I cannot insert anything “INTO” my repeat area.
So I can’t complete the final step.
Tried over and over and different - and over - same thing as many others before… who, unfortunately for them, say they’ve been working on it “for days” - poor bastards.

here’s my tree:
same as in the docs, but no way to add INTO the repeat.

done for the night

Nothing has changed in this functionality, so it’s the same as in the docs you are referring to, so no - the problem is not with the docs explaining this functionality, there’s something else probably on your page(s).

Can you check if the App Connect framework is added on your page? Can you post a few screenshots how are your repeat regions set up and probably their code as well?

EDIT: I’ve given up on the nest regions

live link: http://137.184.106.209/stats_conc_by_class

this is fine.
the “outer” loop runs

here is the entire code:

and the JSON here: http://137.184.106.209/api/stats/stats_conc1

Still waiting to even get to this point…

but when i wrote: I’ll want to click on a person and popup a detail page. I’ve done that before, I just can’t find any docs for this type of control in Wappler.

yes, once I expand a section, I’ll want to click on an item and do something with it (most likely a popup to see some details). THATs what I meant I have done before.

The “I just can’t find any docs for this type of control in Wappler.” refers to this overall type of expansion/accordian control - which @brad put me onto as “Nested Repeat Regions”

thx brad.

As to “Nested Repeat Regions”…
using my example of people in the 50 states…

Does this mean that the backend MSSQL will receive 50 Queries, 1 per state, since it is in a repeat loop?

Or does it only appear this way as we logically set up the Query in Wappler?

Brad, I can see where this was perfect for your Playhouse project.
Sure, have 1 Performance and easily see Cast, Crew, etc. nested under it.

But consider this:

In my example of 50 states with 1000 people in those states, what use is this control in that setting? Its just a big bulky list.
It nice for some applications (yours), but isn’t really worth anything in my setting as its not really like the Accordian or RowExpansion from Kendo.

Is there nothing else in Wappler?

You should be able to use the accordion. You would have a list of fifty states and you can open and close one panel at a time. Use the states in the nav bar and the cities in the accordion body.

But if there is that much data, personally I would simply add a dropdown/select menu for the states and display a list of people that are associated with that state. Very simple and less screen real estate.

1 Like

Dynamic Accordion with Nested Region
live link: http://137.184.106.209/stats_conc_by_class

Nice! Well done!

1 Like