Server support for Node.js?

My hosting uses cPanel. How can I tell if my hosting supports Node.js?

A good place to start would be their website.

You should have ‘Setup Node.js App’ under the software section. This is what mine looks like:

1 Like

Bummer, looks like my host doesn’t support Node. :frowning:

Many hosting panels like Plesk have it as addon that you have to install. Check their website

Which host are you with brad?

HostPapa … since our project contains client information and has set guidelines we have to follow our physical server has to be located in Canada.

They have it available on VPS accounts. But the pricing for the plan we would need is outragious. I’d have to see a lot of very noticable NODE.js advantages before making that switch.

Hmmm, doesn’t look like they support it on shared accounts. VPS looks like they do but they seem a tad expensive for a VPS. I’ve checked but no support for Docker either. Time to change hosts? (with CA based servers of course)

I will wait to see how NODE.js evolves and if there is a reliable conversion tool to NODE from PHP.

1 Like

Use Digital Ocean for now. $5 a month would get you up and running. That’s what I will likely do. We installed NodeJS on our cPanel server but haven’t done anything with it. I want to get to grips with the basics first and a Digital Ocean droplet seems to be the easiest and safest way to begin with.

Although I’m a noob with VPS hosting I’ve installed a Twitter-like social app on each of two new websites of mine on Linodes.com using quite a stack of services with Node.js servers for these mobile apps.

With a medium load configuration using a shared cpu plan and 2GB of RAM& 50GB of storage on a virtual volume I pay less than 23 dollars per month for each website. This is a maintain it yourself plan.

My server deployed in Frankfurt, Germany. I think there are 11 or 12 server locations you can choose from around the globe.

We actually added support for Hetzner recently, which is really cheap and performs very good!

1 Like

Also you can get 20 euro credits if you use our referral link:

I was investigating the Hetzner link and having spent months learning my way around Linodes I’m finding I’m going to have to look at a lot of videos ahead of time.

First, how would I match the server environment in a Hetzner volume with Wappler project server setups with those same services to enable a node.js app to run from Hetzner?

Second, I see this & wonder about having to edit my .htaccess file to take the site offline for a while and then back up. Is everything about a Hetzner WEB server instance relying on manually editing files? This is really a primitive environment, in a way, for the usual “control panel” tools assembled in one place to control everything, including the mail server, etc.

My “website DATA” is accessible once I make the website or app reachable via internet browsers?
I do want DATA accessible, of course, so that the app works as it should. The app would allow who and what it will allow via the app security built in to its design.

Surely they are using the term “website data” in a very generic sense!
But it requires more explanation for me just because they made this statement.

I will need some tutorials where I actually see, that is, VISUALLY the whole procedure for firing up a Hetzner account to just host a node.js server app that uses redis, postgre, ruby, etc, on an Ubuntu server.

When you use Wappler to create a server for docker usage (docker machine) with Hetzner as chosen provider, everything needed is created for you based on your project settings. You do have to choose to use docker - at least for your live remote target.

As for the question about .htaccess - it is used only for php with Apache configuration. So for NodeJS projects it doesn’t apply. There NodeJS takes care of everything.

1 Like