Server Action Folders disappear when name starts with underscore

Wappler Version : 3.3.2
Operating System : Catalina

1. When you rename a folder it has a tendency to disappear.

2. When you move a folder to another folder it has a tendency to disappear.

3. When you move a folder to another folder it shows under that folder but when you refresh, the folder disappears.

Sometimes it works but other times it does not.

1. Create a Server Action folder.
  2. Create Action Steps for that folder.
  3. Duplicate that folder.
  4. Rename the duplicated folder.
  5. Move the duplicated folder to another Server Action folder.
    a. Continue to multiple levels of folders.
  6. Refresh the Server Actions.

This has been extremely frustrating in that I have created around 325 Action Steps for some 65 tables only to have them all disappear after moving them to other folders for organization purposes. Now I am starting from scratch, again.

I did some cleaning up and here is an interesting observation. Compare the Server Actions with the Project folder in File view. Notice how _Administrator, _Country, and _State do not appear in the Server Action pane.

IDENTIFIED THE BUG:

Wappler does not accept " _ " (underscore) as a prefix to the folder name. That is the bug!

Hi @BruceSchueller, i think u have another problem cause i have folders with underscore and im working just fine.
Btw, i work in MacOs Catalina too.

Here you can see that some of my folders have underscore:

Captura de Pantalla 2020-09-23 a la(s) 03.11.07

Sounds really frustrating!
Did you not have a backup of so much work?

I don’t think the server actions disappeared, probably just the UI doesn’t display them … have you looked in the dmxConnect/api folder for them?

EDIT:
I just tested this an i can confirm the server actions do not disappear and are not deleted. It’s just the Server Action UI which don’t show them, seems like an issue with folders starting with _ indeed.

@george wiill check this.

Actually folders and files starting with underscore or dot are treated as hidden. So are just hidden from view. If you want to see them just choose “Show hidden” from the file manager context menu.

So nothing gets deleted here - it is a normal system behavior.

Hi Max, the issue is when you start a server action folder with an underscore. It can hide them.

1 Like

George, After all the responses, I now understand that " . " or " _ " prefix to folders hides them. But here is an observation. They don’t always hide. I used a bunch of _Folder names and they all showed. Then, when I moved them they SOMETIMES vanished. That’s where my confusion and frustrations came from. Had it been consistent I could have deduced that the underscore or period hides them.

I would recommend that when a _Folder or .Folder is created, that it hides them immediately. That would resolve this UI issue.

1 Like

Will investigate further the inconsistencies.

1 Like