Seeking Guidance on Migrating PHP Wappler App to NodeJS for Azure

Hello Wappler Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. I’m reaching out to seek some guidance and insights from the experts in this community.

We have a PHP-based application developed in Wappler that we are currently using. Our goal is to migrate this application to NodeJS. The reason for this migration is that we are in the process of moving our hosting to Azure servers. However, we’ve encountered some challenges during this migration process. Azure doesn’t support PHP as seamlessly as we would like, which is prompting us to explore the possibility of migrating our application to NodeJS.

I wanted to inquire if anyone here has experience or insights into migrating a Wappler application from PHP to NodeJS, especially with the goal of hosting it on Azure servers. We are interested in understanding if there are any tools, frameworks, or best practices that can help streamline this transition.

Our hope is to find a way to migrate the application without having to redevelop it entirely in NodeJS. Any guidance, advice, or shared experiences on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

J

1 Like

We have done this several times with extensive Projects, and in all cases we have entirely recreated those Projects (CSS was about the only thing to make the crossover). Initially we tried short-cutting the process but that was taking as long as to as what it would take to start afresh.

Doesn’t really help you but at least you can prepare the ground work in your mind!

1 Like

Is it due to difficulty configuring e.g. MySQL credentials in your Wappler app?

P.S.: I don’t know anything about Azure, I’m just looking at their documentation where they show how to deploy a Laravel app

Server API actions are pretty simply, just rename to
json and remove the include at the start of the action. (Don’t forget the final closing bracket at end of action.
Again, if you want the conversion simply, just rename the php files to .ejs and add them to the views folder.
Php ncludes are the difficult bit as they need to be renamed to .ejs and the calling pages changed from includes to partials.
Lastly any embedded <PHP code in app connect (.ejs) needs to be manually changed as required.
Obviously at that stage you are not using the layout/ content structure but it will get you going until you can tweak the structures.

I did it on a property rental site some time ago, took hours,not days