Save/Upload in background process

A big minus in Wappler is the long delay on saving files (which are being uploaded afterwards). I can’t continue working while saving file(s).

This process should be in the background.

Is this happening on specific large files only? Normally you shouldn’t have large delays on saving files.

Maybe try to identify on which files it happen.

These are normal files. If I have 10 files open and save them all, I can go to the coffee machine … :wink:

So it happens to any file? No matter the size?

Does it happen when you save them one by one?

Also where are the files saved to? A local disk? Ssd? or some cloud service?

Does it happen on other computers as well?

What are your computer specs and OS?

So it happens to any file? No matter the size?

yes. saving just blocks Wappler completely

Does it happen when you save them one by one?

yes, also on Save all

Also where are the files saved to? A local disk? Ssd? or some cloud service?

provider. With a fast internet conncetion. all projects are similar fast/slow

Does it happen on other computers as well?

Got to test that …

What are your computer specs and OS?

Mac Pro (2019), macOS 11.5.2

oh so you mean that on save the files get uploaded with ftp as well. Yes that can take a while …

are your files server connect actions or html pages?

oh so you mean that on save the files get uploaded with ftp as well. Yes that can take a while …

yes, it would be nice if that could be done in the background

are your files server connect actions or html pages?

both

What Wappler version are you on?

Out of interest, if you saving all files, let’s say there are 10 of them, some server actions and some html files, what sort of file sizes are they when you look at the local file sizes.

Only reason I ask is because on my own sites, the server actions and html files may only be 5mb or something, my image files are larger but those are not uploading multiple times.
I have however found a few odd instances where my server actions have grown in size quite a bit and then there is a noticeable slow down when saving.

On average normal saving takes about 15-20 seconds for me, certainly not a coffee machine break.
Wondering what sort of file sizes you are dealing with

Around 25 KB. I don’t think the file size is not the problem, more the complete save/upload process. If I “save all” for example 2 open server actions together with 3 open php files Wappler takes about 10 seconds and is completely blocked during this time.

I’d say it would be better to save to disk and then make the upload process in the background.

1 Like

One of the reasons we’ve stopped working with this flow.
We either use local PHP or local Docker or local NodeJS when in development more.

Or, in one case, I also just changed the target setting to “Production”, so now it does not upload the file one each save, and I can just right-click & upload.

Having the FTP file upload response separated from local file saving alert response is a good solution.

@George
Thanks a lot for speeding this up! Saving files now works MUCH faster!

With the last few updates, it should be all flying, and uploads are kind of done in the background.
So you shouldn’t experience any delays