Run another server action without using app connect

Can I run another server action from within server connect without using app connect?

No, you canā€™t do that.
Why not just add this other server action steps in the first one?
What are you trying to achieve?

Just asking if it is possible. Now I know. Thanks.

Well whatā€™s the point of doing that?
There must be something specific you want to achieve, which probably can be done in a more appropriate way :slight_smile:

Let say I have another server connect to run on error or on invalid using app connect. I just wonder if I can do it directly from within server connect, catch.

For example, sometimes my server refuses smtp connection and thereā€™ll be error 200 or 500. I can resend the email using app connect > dynamic event > on error / invalid. I wonder if something like this can be done on server side alone without a trigger from client side.

I know I can just add another action step, but let say I have a standard Server Action mailer, I want to use this particular SA for many other SAs as well.

Well thatā€™s why there are the ā€œcatchā€ steps :slight_smile:

So in the catch steps you add what you need to happen on server error.

I can run action step on catch :ok_hand:, but I can not run another Action File on catch :no_entry_sign:. Sorry I think thatā€™s about my original question.

I already explained you that:

And already explained you how to achieve what you need :slight_smile:

Yeah thatā€™s clear. Thanks.

I get where you are coming from transcoderm, would allow development of reusable/ callable server connect code modules.

I found myself wanting to do that to monitor error situations so that a server action would send an email to me if a server action failed.

Rather than using the catch option, i wrote a separate server Action (with get parameters to record logging info), I the made a ā€˜no auto loadā€™ server connection to it in app connect then triggered it with server.load in the server connect error event withing Dynamic Events.

I also use this technique for audit trailing via the success event

1 Like

Thatā€™s the way to go Brian - but it requires App Connect to run the second action.
@transcoderm wants to do this, without App Connect :slight_smile:

We will consider adding such an option (running another server action from a server action) we just have to discuss it with the team :slight_smile:

1 Like

True, just offering a workable alternative as it canā€™t currently be done.

1 Like

Also, for such things as auditing, storing logs or stuff that require data from the page, you always need a page with app connect which triggers the server action. Otherwise you wonā€™t be able to collect the data from that page.

Yes I agree, the ability to send diagnostic/ audit data via $_GET parameters withing a dynamic event action is incredibly powerful and I suspect may be less flexible at Server Connect level

I prefer adding log insert step for every Action File rather than having separate action file for audit trail purpose. The reason is I can get all the data easier with lesser steps, and having lesser code on my main page. But I agree with you that $_GET variable is a good tool to utilise. I use it for delete and simple update actions without having to use a form.

It is good to hear @Teodor will talk to the team to consider adding option to run another server action from a server action. Would make server connect even more powerful than it is now.

Cheers.

1 Like