REST is Dying

I just read this from –
Beau Beuchamp at Medium.com

The following is a link to the full article supporting the argument that REST is an archaic technolgy that has been supplanted by better, more efficient services – including the author’s own invention – TIGER

REST API’s being phased out

Standards are fine if they work. But as use of the technology advances, often the “standard” starts to hold you back, and that is what REST is doing to the web.

• The following text and links are from the above article

TIGER: Easier Web Services That Work Better

TIGER is a name I coined for a loose standard of web services I developed about 12 years ago because I was tired of REST’s limitations and nonsense. TIGER is loosely based on a kind JSON-RPC (JSON remote procedure call) protocol that really just uses REST’s POST and/or GET verbs to send and receive data via the browser client. GET is used for quick grabs of data if you like, but POST is used almost exclusively to exchange data securely.

TIGER utilizes an easy-to-use “message pattern” to send and route data where it needs to go. Routing metadata are contained (co-mingled) within the “message” to the server.

As such, TIGER really needs only ONE endpoint.

Putting It All Together

I didn’t want to post a boatload of code within this article, so if you want to see TIGER Webservices in action, have a look at the TIGER Platform that uses these services on GitHub. Here are a few links:

>>> END of my Quotes from Beau Beauchamp’s article !

Oh man! I knew comments in his blog post wouldn’t disappoint. He is getting some serious roast.

My alter ego:

NO, NO – don’t try to sell me on PHP doing something BETTER, FASTER, LESS Complicated, MORE EFFICIENT, LESS BLOATED than my server-side & ui browser frameset of choice!

:fu: :face_vomiting:

Best tools for the job. Frameworks with PHP processing of data might just speed up a page load for an app.

Developers should only care about the Response. Stringing together the best components, whatever helps deliver the final product – a fast page load of dynamically filtered data.

Indeed. He is right with the concept, but he does make poor arguments to sustain it.
You can’t talk about bloated frontend frameworks and then proceed to promote and use jquery like he does.

2 Likes

The guy has a thing with dying and killing.

BTW, the fact that he uses title capitalization for his blog posts shows me that he is more a marketeer than a coder. Good content promotes itself.

Sorry @NewMedia I think this is not the guy :slight_smile:

Then, @JonL I’m afraid to conclude that HE is the Expert on this subject and you are not.

You can’t talk about bloated frontend frameworks and then proceed to promote and use jquery like he does.

I’m sure he has GREAT, TESTED, HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL REASONS to “use jquery like he does”.

I have absolutely no doubt that unlike me, he is an expert in jquery.

When someone is starting to feel uncertain about their intially flippant responses when challenged they usually resort to the next line of response –
A quick retreat to irrelevant nitpicking instead of continuing with a technical critque. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The guy has a thing with dying and killing.

BTW, the fact that he uses title capitalization for his blog posts shows me that he is more a marketeer than a coder. Good content promotes itself.

Your technical expertise should go a long way to making your points. But, instead you immediately abandon your argument to take cheap shots as if you are so sure that a CODER should not be using “Capitalization” in his Blog Posts??

REALLY?

Read and Comment

Some Mondays I do value my time. I don’t have anything against you liking his posts! You might be seeing something I can’t. I just think he is wrong about most of the things he is writing about.

:peace_symbol:

That adds to the amount of dumb things he writes :slight_smile:

He denies Angular, but has nothing against jquery?

I’m not opposed to using open source libraries like jQuery, or other UI components, or CSS frameworks like Bootstrap. These can be “included” with one or two lines of code and they actually do make our lives as develoeprs a lot easier!

More, his arguments are let’s not say “stupid”, but they sound like arguments of a person who never touched code and just heard about Angular or Vue on his way to the office :slight_smile:
For example:

Unfortunately, Angular (and other UI frameworks as well) cost companies more money, lots of money, to train and re-train employees to learn and re-learn a framework that keeps changing versions every year or so. Yes, Angular has now promised that all new versions will be backward compatible, but again, that is just going to add to the already bloated complexity when the next new “really cool” component needs to change everything again.

these two paragraphs are enough for me to not read any of his other articles :slight_smile:
Not to mention his “professional” opinion about SPA :slight_smile:

1 Like

In fact, I’m sure that Wapplers own developers could write similar articles!

Otherwise, they wouldn’t have decided to REINVENT another Frameset which started essentially as a Fork.

Surely, @Teodor & Wappler Development Team could tell us stories about the challenges of today’s Frameset of the Month and its myriad dependencies.

Wappler itself is their effort to streamline App development with some proprietary improvements to existing framesets. I will bet that Wappler Developers, the core team, have been down a lot of avenues and back alleys over the years that were frustrating, time-consuming & hard to keep track of.

My whole thread, Topic, was about using the BEST TOOLS integrated with each other. And if Beau Beauchamps, who has written tons of commercial solutions & seen Web Development over DECADES to this very minute, who is considered an expert in his field – not just a “blogger” – says and posts Demonstrations of his Better, Faster, Less Complicated API server then I will take it for granted that TIGER has advantages that he can PROVE in the real world.

Fini.

That one made me spit my tea a bit! So he draws the line on how many script tags he has to add to a page?

1 Like

I’ve never heard of him actually, and looking at his linkedin profile, his github account and his professional career - it doesn’t sound like what you are saying. (even my career in this business is longer than his!)
He really seems like a blogger who advertises his own “tiger platform” hating the rest :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I understand Beau. I’ve been developing professionally since 1994.

Beau is approaching the world like software development of the 1980’s. Where you followed ridiculously strict rules and coding standards or things broke on the silicon.

What Beau is describing as TIGER is nothing more than his own personal pattern of REST. The contract between the client and server is still HTTP and the server routing contracs have been moved from the endpoint to the payload.

What Beau is missing in his pattern is the lack of understanding that a website/browser-based app has more interfaces than just the one he designed with HTML so he misses the point of the endpoints being part of the overall interaction. For example, the reason the endpoint has complexity is that the user (human or machine) can easily convey context of the current view as well as potential aggregation or navigation of that context. This was not a mental model available to 1980s programmers.

I do agree that REST is being replaced, but by graphql and grpc, not Beau’s simplified pattern of REST he calls TIGER.

BTW, I’ve nearly always used REST as Beau does because I transitioned my modeling from JAVAs JNDI remoting in real-time platforms in the late 90s. However I’ve evolved and now use modern methods that scale easier for my development projects.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention of graphql

https://graphql.org/

And thanks for this, as well!

https://grpc.io/

Latest post:

:clown_face:

The guy sure hates his angular :smiley:

To me it seems the guy is trying very hard to remain relevant(if he ever was) by bashing newer technologies and new blood. You can clearly see from his clickbait titles that he is quite afraid to become obsolete.

Instead of stupid posts he should invest that time recycling himself.

1 Like

0.4% is less than 1/2 of ONE percent 1%
The battle of cherry-picking screenshots continues:

I still have this question: who is this guy and why do we even discuss his nonsense posts here? Nobody heard of him and he did not seem to do anything exceptional for the web development world :slight_smile:

1 Like

Teodor, What do you mean by "he did not seem to do anything exceptional for the web development world "?

How many Wappler users have credits and experience that surpass his?

Certainly not anyone in this forum, I would think.

I’d say that You, Teodor, are one of the very, very few who have the experience to pooh-pooh.

But I thoroughly understand why the Product Creator of Wappler & its own fork of Framework 7 and Bootstrap would be a bit irritated by even reading about other developments.

But I assume that Wappller being agnostic, for the most part, it will change over time and include whatever technogies prove to be useful in time.

His argument, which many insignificant, hardly exceptional engineers and developers agree with, is that JQuery is still very useful and doesn’t deserve all the abuse.