Remote Docker Target with Generic provider option - Error creating & installing Docker

Wappler v4.9.1, MacOS

I’m trying to create a new remote docker machine with the Generic provider option. I have added a new project target for a Docker remote server. The remote server (running ubuntu 22.04 LTS) has already been created with Linode. The ssh keys and server IP address have also been added locally and connection to the remote server for root user via terminal is working correctly. Ports 80, 443 & 2376 have been opened on the server and firewall rules have been set to allow inbound traffic on these ports in the Linode portal.

When I try to create a new remote docker machine, it comes up with this error:

Error creating machine: Error running provisioning: error installing docker:

It seems there’s an issue with the generation of various certificates required to run Docker but I can’t figure out whether there’s an issue with the remote server setup or something needs to be fixed on the local system.

I have Docker Desktop installed locally. A Remote Docker, which was added with the Generic option a few months ago, is working correctly (Vultr Server).

Any assistance in resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.

Docker machine errors are always difficult to track.
You might want to enable detailed debug output when creating the docker machine by toggling the bug icon in the toolbar first.

In Wappler 5 we will have much more advanced server creation directly with the provider native api in the new Resource Manager. So it should be much easier to use.

I was unable to find out the issue, so, I deleted the remote server that was created manually and tried the in-built server creation directly with the Linode’s API and it worked perfectly. The Docker has been created and installed correctly on this server instance. I have deployed the project to this new server and the web app is working as expected.

One query when creating a new server via provider’s API, is there a way to find out the root password for the remote server?

I’m looking forward to Wappler 5 and advanced server creation / management functionality; this will certainly help in making this process more robust and convenient to use.

Thanks George for your help :+1:t4:

Well root password is only required for linode on initial server creation we have an entry for it in the Ui.

After creation your personal SSH key gets authorized and used for all access so root password is actually never used.

If you really needed there might be a way to reset it in the dashboard of Linode itself.

1 Like