Remote database password

In Wappler, if you create a connection for remote DB - Wappler will create a JSON file under .wappler/target_name/databases/dbname.json and will save a password in plain text.

Is there is an option to encrypt/hash this password?

I guess the only way is to add such file/folder to .gitignore, Wappler doesn’t really facilitate here… :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I no longer use Github mainly for this reason. I have a droplet at DO hosting Gitea and use that for all my repos.

It would still be good if Wappler would do something to avoid passwords being pushed to any repo automatically as an added layer of security. I’d be happy entering the passwords locally on both the computers I use (desktop and laptop) if Wappler completely ignored them when pushing/pulling.

@Notum - is that the purpose of your question? Or are you wanting encrypted passwords for another reason?

1 Like

I always (incorrectly it seems) thought the ‘site secret key’ was used internally by Wappler to encrypt sensitive stuff. In light of this, I’d agree too that there must be a better way of storing / using PWs than plain text inside Wappler.

1 Like

Apologies if I didn’t described problem in details.
The issue is that in a Docker container, you have a plain text password for you remote database server and my question is - is it possible to somehow hide/encyrpt/hash it.

Is that really an issue? Most web software has plaintext password in the configuration files

On the other hand, I would understand if the issue is the password is on Git, and you don’t want every developer to know it… :slight_smile:

1 Like