Redirect to PWA if on Mobile

Here is some samples of what I have to replicate.

Check this comment:

It's responsive. Just took some screenshots now as i was working

2 Likes

Thanks Ken, I am exploring the one project option. How would you display a table like this on mobile?

There are two ways.
Either use row>column structure instead of table tr>td and adjust the layout (col size) per screen size, or hide the table on mobile and show some other structure for mobile - such as list group.

2 Likes

Teodor covered the table stuff, but I do have another opinion on what should actually be shown in the table, which ultimately only you can answer.

When designing a page, I think it is important to be sharply focused on its purpose. Often with a table it is to find something, and so as developers we have to look for the best way to help the user find the entity (in your case, a workshop.)

You are currently utilizing two methods, a filter, and displaying parameters of the workshop), and perhaps a third (sorting the table.) I'm guessing there is an opportunity to display fewer parameters.

For example, do users really choose a workshop based on the Time and Duration? If so, maybe that should be a filter, but if not, it should be removed.

For seats available, perhaps that is also a filter?

A filter as a dynamic off canvas is a nice way to go...a single filter icon that opens a side panel, let's the user make their selections, and then gets out of the way to see the results.

And you have another component that could be used, a collapse for each row. If you are on the fence about whether or not all of these parameters need to be shown, maybe show less and use a tap on the row can expand to show more. In your example, maybe that includes the Description.

Like I said, only you can answer these questions, I'm just pointing out that the question that comes before "how do I make my table work in mobile", is, "What does the user need to see in order to select a workshop".

THEN, you can decide how to best display.

Oh, and one more thing...wouldn't this be more inviting in a card format? Maybe introduce a graphic for the workshop? Turn the Seats into badges with colors that visual indicate availability? Clock icon showing the duration?

I know, that's a lot of ideation, but again the developer is there to make sure easier and pleasant for the user, not give them a better spreadsheet. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks again, Ken. You have convinced me to go the one project route. Even though I will have to add some mobile only pages at least I won't have to redo all those server connects.

Can you confirm that progressier can still be used to create the PWA on a hybrid project? Does it detect device or does it detect screen width?

Hybrid project? You use progressier with a standard Wappler web app.

Yes, by hybrid I mean built for desktop and mobile devices in one project.

You'll be fine with Progressier.

1 Like

For tables, try something like this

<style>
  @media(max-width: 760px) {
    thead {
      display: none;
    }

tr,
    td {
      display: block;
    }

tr {
      margin-bottom: 2em;
    }

td:nth-child(-n+2) {
      font-weight: bold;
    }
  }
</style>

<div class="container">
  <div class="row">
    <div class="col">
      <div class="table-responsive">
        <table class="table">
          <thead>
            <tr>
              <th>First</th>
              <th>Last</th>
              <th>Handle</th>
              <th>Content</th>
              <th>Content</th>
              <th>Content</th>
            </tr>
          </thead>
          <tbody>
            <tr>
              <td>Mark</td>
              <td>Otto</td>
              <td>@mdo</td>
              <td>fourth content</td>
              <td>fifth content</td>
              <td>sixth content</td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td>Jacob</td>
              <td>Thornton</td>
              <td>@fat</td>
              <td>fourth content</td>
              <td>fifth content</td>
              <td>sixth content</td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
              <td>Larry</td>
              <td>the Bird</td>
              <td>@twitter</td>
              <td>fourth content</td>
              <td>fifth content</td>
              <td>sixth content</td>
            </tr>
          </tbody>
        </table>
      </div>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>

Having said that, this is tabular data and as such the table element must be used for accessibility purposes.

@brad you can try:

1. set the main table to responsive-always
  2. set all the columns of your main table (inside the green" mobile area) to texy-nowrap
  3. then the user will just have to swipe right with the finger to see the rest columns
  4. you can add a dropdown list and list there a link for all the the other contents.
    By clicking a dropdown item, the specific content will open in a full-screnn modal

Now that I saw where it goes, it would be better to use an offCanvas-lg instead of a modal to open the rest of contents. This way you can show it as you have it on large+ devices and turn it in an offCanvas in small devices, fully responsive and easier to maintain.

Unfortunately off canvas is supported in bs4 and I am kind of scared to update it to bs5. So I may be stuck with modals.

OK, I hear you...
But by using the modal path is going to change your layout...

(bs4... :thinking: )
Please take a look at that (bs4 offcanvas):
https://www.codeply.com/p?starter=Bootstrap&ex=hB3cuJ3rj4

Thanks Tasos, I will see if I can make that work. It would certainly be more ideal to use offCanvas.

I'm glad Ken talked me into making this project more mobile friendly rather than build a seperate mobile site. I am making progress with a little creative use of the hide based on device width tools in Wappler.

I'm learning a lot.

Before I start adding more modals, I am going to back up the site and then try and convert to BS5. It should work alright, just not sure how current modals will convert.

2 Likes

This looks fantastic! Is that BS5 with custom styles?

That's it Uma. Thanks

2 Likes