Real time updates without page fresh Node or Php

I am about to start a project where I will be wanting real time page updates without the client having to refresh their browser on their end.

I am assuming that I would want to use a node based project or PHP?

I am really new to “programming” and just getting my head wrapped around it all. I am a wordpress hacker at best.

1 Like

You could use the Action Scheduler and set it to reload the server connect action script every x seconds or minutes. It upsets the purists but should work fine unless the reloading puts a huge strain on the server. I think this forum uses that technique so you see updates without needing to refresh (correct me if I’m wrong, though).

I use the Action Scheduler on my admin dashboard pages to refresh every 2 mins so that the content is pretty fresh. It also means that if the login session expires, it can kick you out rather than leaving whatever is on the screen available indefinitely.

1 Like

I do this as well, refreshing data every few seconds actually and it works just fine.

1 Like

I would have to do it every seconds, I guess every 2 would work.

it is not good idea for auction platforms @sevenrice.

socket.io and realtime data is your requirement :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed. Auction apps is one those cases where realtime is needed. If not you could end up providing a poor experience.

2 Likes

So at the end of the day, I would be able to do it now just not through the gui and would have to code it on my own?

Basically. But I am pretty sure socket support is near. So you probably can start with the rest of the app.

1 Like

You are most likely right being I have been trying to start building it for 2 years, lol

I need to learn to eat an elephant a bite at a time.

1 Like

@JonL should I at least start with Nodejs?

1 Like

Yes.