PREVIEW: The new Project Manager (experimental)

In the latest Wappler, we have given you a preview of the upcoming Project Manager.
Now you can organize your projects in folders and quickly search the right project!

Here is a global overview of how it works. Please evaluate it and post your feedback in this topic, so we can improve it in the final release.

Enable experimental options

As the new Projects Manager is available currently only under experimental options, you need to enable them first:

Note: Make sure you restart Wappler after you enable the experimental features.

Where to find the new Project Manager?

The new Project Manager will popup when you click on the active Project:

Then the new Project Manager will popup:

Using the Project Manager

The new Project Manager is nicely organized in panes.

• You can see the thumbnails of all your projects on the right.
  • On the left you will see any folders that you have created to organize your projects into.

Selecting an Active Project

To select an active project, just hover and click on its thumbnail.
Then this project will be selected and become the currently active one:

Creating a new Project

To create a new project, call the Project Manager again.

1. Click on the “New Project” Tab
  2. Select one of the project templates folders
  3. Select the project you want to start with - or Blank from the main folder

You will be prompt to enter a Project Name and a Folder to store it in:

When you enter this, the new project will be created and directly available to use.

Where to find the new Projects

New projects or unorganized projects are available on the top level “Projects”:

Deleting a Project

If you want to delete a project, just call the Project Manager, find the right project, hover on it’s thumbnail and click on the delete icon:

Organizing Projects in to Folders

You can create as many virtual folders as you want to organize your projects in.
Just click on the [ + ] icon to add a new folder and use drag and drop to organize them as you wish:

Note - those are just virtual folders and do not exists on disk.

Moving Projects to a folder

To put a specific project to a folder, just drag it to the folder:

Deleting a Folder

To delete a organizational folder, just click on the delete icon in the toolbar:

Don’t worry if there were any projects inside - they won’t be deleted.
The projects will still exists but will be moved to the top level folder - as unorganized project.

Conclusion

So that are the main workings of the new Project Manager.
So try it out and let us know what you think of it.

So this panel will replace the current projects panel we have now? I’m good with that if it’s the case.

I’m not impressed with the screenshot tool at this point. Only takes a snapshot of the top left corner of the site, not particularly useful. Hopefully it is still in early stages.

If the folders and projects can be sorted alphabetically that would be awesome. It looks like a great start to a nice feature though. Much better than the Projects Panel we have now.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure how the dimensions of the image are determined but it seems the screen is resized first - perhaps to the tablet dimensions. If you want to create a screenshot manually, to have more control over the appearance, you can paste it into the .wappler folder, naming it thumb.png, and it will appear as you want.

The screenshot takes an image of the Tablet version and works OK for me. Not an exotic monitor.

I’m with you on alphabetical sorting and the great improvement.

Not sure if others had this issue but on Windows 10 had to close/open Wappler and switch the Experimental mode on/off a few times in order to see the the new project manager.
So far i like it even if improvements are welcome as mentioned by other members :slight_smile:
Great work as usual Wappler team!

1 Like