Phonegap /Cordova plugins

How will wappler handle phonegap plugins for mobile app?

1 Like

Good question!

Actually you mean Cordova plugins :slight_smile:

We will handle them like the rest of the App Connect plugins. So they can be added in the App Structure, have properties and actions to call. So that you can also use them purely visually but still have all their programming powers.

So once we will get Framework7 v2 out and the Cordova integration in the next few weeks, we will start integrating the Cordova plugins as components afterwards.

If you have a priority list of which Cordova plugins are most important for you - do let us know, so we can prioritize the order.

7 Likes

wouldn’t this cause an overhead with updating the plugins?
don’t you think its better to make them open ended, so its the user responsibility to manage them and add anything they need from npm?

sure it will be less integrated into wappler but will allow to limitless plugins

2 Likes

here is the must used plugins:

4 Likes

so plugin manager :))

2 Likes

cordova-plugin-inappbrowser
cordova-plugin-network-information
cordova-plugin-device
cordova-plugin-dialogs
cordova-plugin-globalization
cordova-plugin-geolocation
cordova-plugin-statusbar
cordova-plugin-splashscreen
phonegap-plugin-barcodescanner
onesignal-cordova-plugin
cordova-plugin-whitelist

It would be great to have the possibility to manage platforms and plugins version:
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/platform_plugin_versioning_ref/index.html#platform-versioning

3 Likes

some others i would also use

cordova-plugin-image-resizer
cordova-safe
cordova-plugin-file-transfer
cordova-plugin-app-event

Would be awesome if it has a plugin manager

2 Likes

facebook and google login plugin

1 Like

George would like to know, is this plan no longer relevant? Or do you plan to integrate cordova plugins in the future? It is very interesting (and I think not only to me) what you are planning for mobile development. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes we still plan to do so. Although many native Cordova plugins aren’t really needed any more.

So make sure to add a list of the most important ones to you.

Btw we are also looking actively in replacing/adding support for ionic capacitor as it is much better than Cordova. It does support same plugins.

1 Like

This is great! I also heard a lot of good things about the capacitor. So it definitely makes sense.

Please do not remove Cordova support George! Backward compatibility with apps built within Wappler requires a transitioning phase, which will take some time, so please can we integrate Ionic in alongside Cordova (initially) giving time for conversion in the interim? Would be a shame to drop Cordova whichever way you go…

2 Likes

Dave, if you look at previous experience, how cautiously and carefully they connected new functions with a smooth transition from one to the other. I think you can relax about backward compatibility and gradual transition. They know how to do it beautifully and accurately. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Don’t worry about that Dave! Capacitor is 100% replacement of Cordova but of course we will offer it as an option so you can choose which one you want! And can do your transition at will.

There is much more solid development invested recently by ionic in their upcoming capacitor 3 - so it will be all worth!

2 Likes

@Teodor Adobe has stopped support for Cordova. Will there be an alternative for mobile development??
https://phonegap.com/products/#desktop-app-section

Well from what i read adobe just discontinued their PhoneGap Build - just the next product they stop supporting after a few years. Nothing really surprising here actually.
Apache cordova is still here and there is nothing to worry about… it has nothing to do with Adobe :slight_smile:

Adobe is killing everything web related they have. I am SO THANKFUL for Wappler.

1 Like