Pause new features and fix bugs/issues please!

I never upgrade on a Thursday evening… I only upgrade when I see features I need and low numbers of bugs reported.

I have only one app, which will go live soon. If I release my app with bugs, my client’s businesses will stop functioning.

So I need stability stability stability.

I understand why Wappler wants to grow the product and I respect that. And I know Wappler will release with more bugs than large companies do.

So soon, I will only upgrade Wappler every 6 months when I have the time to thoroughly test my product with a new Wappler version.

I like the idea of a monthly “stability” release as mentioned here, and as I have suggested before on the forum.

1 Like

There is no bug affecting the basic features. When it occurs, an emergency update is already done. Since using older versions will reduce the number of testers, it will result in bad results for Wappler and there will be more bugs in future versions.

It is better to wait 1 week than 6 months.

7 Likes

Indeed. Makes no sense to wait for 6 months. Core functionality is barely affected by bugs. Most bugs affect only Wappler UI and there are usually workarounds for that. Sometimes there are not and that is a bummer.

In my huge organization, and by huge I mean top right Gartner quadrant where we deal with other huge companies, we have very strict SLAs. Strict as in if we miss we have to pay huge penalties. If there is a workaround the priority will never be more than 3 out of 5. That means that a bug with workaround could spend months in the cooler before anyone looks at it thoroughly. We do have to provide a valid workaround of course.

I think people need to calm their upper torso and understand that there are 1000 different agendas. 1001 if we count Wappler’s agenda :slight_smile:

Not by being more vocal in the forum a topic should be dealt with before. Although I wouldn’t blame Wappler team if they increased priority just to stop hearing someone. We have all done that. Doesn’t make it right though and people more often than not should zip it a bit.

Unless of course people want to deal with a dedicated custom support team instead of the guys that build the product. This happened to Bubble years ago. You could easily speak with Josh and Emmanuel in the forum but with growth and pains in the assess always bumping their own agenda they eventually left the forum and now you speak with interns and people that don’t know the product as well as they do.

So think twice before crying. Short term you might get what you want but long term you are hindering all of us including yourselves.

That doesn’t mean that attention shouldn’t be brought to topics that might have slipped though the cracks. We all forget things.

Just balance it and don’t push your agendas on top of others just because you are more vocal.

:v:

8 Likes

And we frequently see zip files posted containing a fix if it’s needed before the Thursday update.

I can’t state highly enough what a joy it is to have direct contact with the developers of the software so issues are understood and dealt with quickly or solutions/workarounds are suggested. And everyone else in this forum, of course.

4 Likes

I think all of us agree that the Wappler team do an incredible job :clap:

All I wanted to address is the balance, albeit delicate, between new features and dealing with bug reports. I, like @jonl and @sitestreet , am SOOOOOO pleased to see the team on this forum and am happy to try to help, where my time/ability allows, fill the role left by not having a dedicated support team. I wouldn’t want this model to change. What I think would improve the experience for existing users, like me, is a periodic ‘clean-up’ of outstanding issues - maybe each last Thursday of the month. We are talking maybe one week in four where no major new features are released and these issues take center stage. This wouldn’t stop shiny, new functions being added to the product the rest of the time.

IMHO periodic stability focus would actually help innovation. The core would become more stable to build upon but crucially, ¾ of the time the team could focus on product development (and urgent fixes) rather than juggling it with smaller bugs.

1 Like

We must never forget that Wappler is not just a software tool, it is a framework of code that sits in our design too.

What if I’m not using just the “basic features?”

What about the time taken to find out why the bug in my app is happening?

What about my client’s businesses that have stopped as a result?

What about my business’s reputation and my own stress?

I won’t be waiting for patched zip files and Friday updates.

I will be following my own reliability path for my business.

Of course, I still love Wappler and I am sure I always will. I just need a methodology that works for me.

Thank you for the debate! :slight_smile:

What if I’m just "not using the basic features?
If you can give me an example of the basic features that have not worked so far, I can answer more clearly.

What will it take to find out why the error with my app is occurring?
The bug finding process is the same in all software and you know that wappler does not update 1 or 2 times a year like dreamweaver. (Every Thursday and urgent updates are made on the same day.)

As a result, what will happen to the businesses my client stops?
This is all about your contract with your customer. We work in the same way. We sign the contract by calculating these situations.

What about the reputation of the job and my stress?
Don’t the updates every Thursday make you happy?

I will follow my own path of credibility for my business!

1 Like

Antony, you sound like Wappler is breaking your whole site with every update :grinning:

@s.alpaslan, I am happy you have a different point of view! :slight_smile:

Not at all @Teodor!

I just need stability, stability, stability, and I will work in a way to get that!

@Antony
Please don’t get me wrong, Wappler Team work hard and they are helping us everytime.

1 Like

Most of the bugs reported the last few weeks are only UI bugs and not really related to the functionality of your site. And that’s because we had a major update of the design view and adding an internal server to it.

Of course @Teodor… But I need to release my app with NO bugs in the function!

Sorry you lost me here :slight_smile:
Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

It’s a pleasure @Teodor. Thank you to you too, for all the help and support you bring us!

1 Like

I can see where you are coming from. I have had times in the past where functionality has been affected when making a seemingly innocuous change and then re-uploading the page. For example a UI update that led to items in flows being double-quoted (now fixed) took down some of a site. There was an easy workaround at the time by adjusting the code but it needed to be identified and some confidence of users was lost as a result. I don’t tend to wait 6 months to update, but I do tend to be about a week or two behind the release - just to give those eagle-eyed users a chance to pick anything up that needs an emergency fix.

To be clear these occurrences are very rare, but they can happen…

1 Like

Not trying to be hostile in any way as I like a healthy debate, but the only downside I can see to this method is security. If the team patches a security issue within a core file or updates a library, your app could have a ± 6 month delay on receiving this fix.

If it’s a widely known vulnerability then you could have more issues on your hands than perhaps a Wappler bug which would likely be fixed within a week or two of reporting. Note I used the word could, as it’s probably unlikely but nevertheless it’s trade-off between functionality and security.

Lots of green ‘Fixed in Next Update’ tags in the last couple days! :beers:

6 Likes

This is the best software with the best team :muscle: :pray:

5 Likes

This is why I love Wappler, and more specifically the team behind it! GREAT response! :beers:

3 Likes