Packaging PWA (Progressive Web Apps)

Are there any plans for also deploying pwa’s?

3 Likes

Yes as PWA’s are finally getting wide support, we will definitely support them as their are even much easier to deploy than native apps. Just as easy as deploying simple web sites.

So we definitely will get in to PWA’s and offer tools, plugins and deployment.

Actually the frameworks already includes in Wappler like App Connect, Framework7 and even bootstrap are perfect for PWA’s

2 Likes

Any updates regarding PWA’s?

Hi Adam,

Welcome to Wappler and our great community!

We already have great Cordova packaging for all the mobile and soon desktop deployments.

Will very soon also get to the PWA packaging as well.

4 Likes

Desktop deployment means you can do like stand alone application on desktop computer??

1 Like

Hi,

I’m just wondering if there is any update on PWA.

I want this feature :smiley: is available in the latest version?

1 Like

my subscription will start, when PWA support does :wink:

Progressive Web Apps have been the hype for at least 3 years now.
I’m waiting to see Wappler catch up to making them a MAJOR FEATURE
in Wappler Project Categories
with emphasis on seeing working demos
Their own Forum category
Issues
How to Convert existing projects into PWA’s
etc.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @George I have developed a mixed web app (responsive) on Wappler: mostly SPA with some separate pages for least used functionalities such as settings, etc.
I am interested to make it a PWA, any workarounds/tutorial you can point us to, to use until the functionality is developed in Wappler? Thanks

As indicated here:

We will be using Google Workbox for the PWA support.
You can already use Workbox manually in Wappler. We will just automate things later on.
So if you try it out, see what it does, learn more about PWA by using it, and you can provide us feedback for more closer integration in Wappler.

Workbox has a nice wizard that you can run and get everything generated:

and use it:

You can do all this in the terminal of Wappler. Just start it and enter the commands of Workbox as stated in the docs above.

4 Likes

Hi @George ,
Been great watching the progress of Wappler, if only from the outside.
I’ve been holding out until the PWA feature is in place, so any news no that? Also, will making a web app be convertible/ upgradable when those features are ready as referred to by Elias and NewMedia above. Looking forward to getting going.
Any advice appreciated.

1 Like

We find that building from the start with the mindset that what is created will be reused is the really important factor here. Careful consideration has to be undertaken as to the technologies you use within your applications be it web, mobile, desktop (Electron) or a PWA. Awareness has to be maintained otherwise you will find yourself constantly rebuilding these Projects and before you know it you will have several deployments and realise that what you set out to do by implementing a primary code-base was a big fail. This is where so many developers go wrong, getting carried away with bells and whistles. In short I don’t think there could be a simple upgrade/conversion process when it comes to PWA’s or any other technologies for that matter as each user is individual and their Projects are never the same so there is no standard to base your conversion routines upon. Good planning is a far better option, is cost effective, and a hell of a lot less frustrating than a poorly converted Project that could end up broken from the start and very problematic for the developer, then Wappler will get blamed of course… Just my two Cents really sb61.

I’m sure @George will correct me if I am wrong in this regard. Good luck with your choice.

In finishing. We have used Wappler to deploy to Mobile, Web, and Desktop so it is already perfectly capable as software to do this. It does not mean that the developer is as ready as Wappler is if you get my drift… Sometimes you have to get under the hood and this is down to the individual using the tools at hand. It’s like this… I can use a scalpel to cut out stencils all day long but you really would not want me to undertake a coronary bypass! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much Dave for your perspective and insight. Sorry though for the late reply.
I am guessing that a simpler web app is the way to get familiar with Wappler, and putting more complexity/ logic in the db (e.g. views) will mean less re-working once PWA functionality is native.
Would love to hear from @George with an estimate on when that might happen.
Thanks again!

1 Like

PWA support is getting closer and closer. We are now finalizing our client side workflows (task runner) that will allow similar workflows as server connect but then client side.

This will be needed with PWA’s as there is a lot of client side logic and caching.

We are also looking to support PouchDB for database synchronization- also an important part when your PWA wants to sync its data.

So a lot of crucial parts are coming nicely together to build up the PWA support in Wappler.

8 Likes

Astonsihing progress and attention to the needs of the community, you guys just can’t be faulted, or beaten. When can we have voice support! :smiley:

“Hi Wappler”

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you @George for your personal reply. It is great to get such news, details and advice. Sounds like it’s a good time to dive into Wappler and get acquainted in advance of what is coming - so I have subscribed!

Looking forward.

1 Like

Ben just published a great video and boilerplate about how to use SPA and PWA in Wappler, you should check it out: