Observations I recently encountered with a new Wappler user

I recently suggested Wappler to a designer buddy of mine for his personal website, he ran the trial and pretty much gave up, saying it was too difficult, considering that his website is not a money making tool, and he has no real incentive to learn and pursue it, I took little offence to him giving up.

As the country has been in lock down and we all have a little extra time, he decided to give it another go and asked to come sit with me for a few hours today to show him first hand some of how Wappler works.
He walked away from the experience pretty happy and will hopefully buy himself a copy soon and begin.

Anyway the point of this post is that I had a chance to watch a non coder working inside the interface, and one thing quickly became apparent as a bit of a future issue, well an issue in my opinion anyway.

As he was testing out different components in the App Structure to see if what he was adding to his page was actually what he wanted, he starting adding something and then removing it, or adding 5 things and deleting 4 of them because the 5th one was what he decided he wanted.
Obviously I personally do not do that very often because I kind of already know what I want before I place it.

The concern for me is that by the time he had completed his first page he had scripts in his document head and a dmxAppConnect folder full of components to publish to the server that would honestly never be needed.
Im sure his page would have a slightly impacted load speed while it loads 5 scripts that are really not even needed.
The issue is that on placement of a component it adds the correct head script and the correct supporting folders to the file structure, but on delete of that component it does not remove the head script nor the folder of supporting files.
In my mind there is not much need to worry about removing the supporting files if the head script is removed on delete or on save as it will never access them.

As I say this is not a problem as such but more of an observation because I have not really come across it before.

The second comment he made, which I found a little funny to be honest was the Header component icon in App Connect having an H1 written on it, while when placing it it actually does not add an H1 tag, but rather a <header></header> container, which confused him completely as for some unknown reason with his lack of knowledge he had at some point heard of an H1 tag, so placing it expected a massive heading, and actually got an empty container.
Maybe just an icon change on the Header component would be an idea.

There were hundreds of other nuances as he went but none really bare mention as a Wappler specific thing to. worry about. It was an interesting experiment to watch first hand.

4 Likes

Even seasoned users find this to be an obstacle.

4 Likes

I get so confused by anniversary or birthday icons in Wappler, I will say Happy Birthday or Wappler Anniversary, haha.

And you are correct, I have had to clean up after myself a few times manually removing a single script every now and again, and never really worried too much, but he had about 5 or 6 of them floating around.

My normal way of working is make a new page, do all my testing, delete the page, add the correct component to my main page which avoids breaking my current page in any way, and avoids the excess scripts, but I doubt many users would do that in general.

1 Like

Thank you. It is the birtheday that when the numbers are reversed, the age remains the same. It still makes me nearly 3 years younger than Ringo Star. Watched a concert of his last night. Going by his looks, I hope the concert was over a decade ago, otherwise it would put me to shame.

For later on:

3 Likes

Getting back to your original post, I had much the same experience with @Cardy, an artiste d’exception. But not a coder. He has purchased Wappler to make his own website with this result: http://cardytoons.com.au/

A pity that he has as yet not obtained an SSL certificate otherwise I would give it a tick of approval. (Do your hear me Mr. Cardytoons?)

3 Likes

Will have a drink in your honor @ben

Nice site, but yeah with free ssl certs these days, I think it would be a good idea.

2 Likes

Happy birthday Ben!

Paul:

3 Likes

Ben:

Many congratulations ! I thought I was the most ancient of the Community! Can’t quite keep up with you, except to say I put coding aside for a while and watched the youngster EJ in Rocketman. Loved, it.

1 Like

Happy B’day, Ben and good points psweb.

1 Like

Happy Birthday. Looking forward to another year of help and inspiration. Thanks.

1 Like