Not really sure what I did wrong

I have been working on this Node site with Docker for a while and today I needed to add the exif-reader mentioned in JonL’s Image EXIF data tool

I went to https://www.npmjs.com/package/exif-reader and got the command npm install exif-reader and by mistake instead of entering it in Wappler under Terminal, I did it under Web Server
2021-08-31_23-15-08

When I saw that it was not working I went back and did it under Terminal as I meant to do originally.

Ever since that, now when i Deploy to the Digital Ocean Droplet I get a ton of Output that does not look very happy.

Bringing all services up ...
Building web
Sending build context to Docker daemon  3.175MB
Step 1/4 : FROM wapplerio/node-14
 ---> 7b4e82d02b51
Step 2/4 : COPY ./ /opt/node_app/
 ---> 5a38552209cb
Step 3/4 : WORKDIR /opt/node_app
 ---> Running in 5ca9d7a2e681
Removing intermediate container 5ca9d7a2e681
 ---> 2da80d8f8768
Step 4/4 : RUN npm install --no-optional --production
 ---> Running in bf964dd250a4
npm WARN deprecated node-pre-gyp@0.11.0: Please upgrade to @mapbox/node-pre-gyp: the non-scoped node-pre-gyp package is deprecated and only the @mapbox scoped package will recieve updates in the future
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.3.2: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic.  See https://v8.dev/blog/math-random for details.
npm WARN deprecated querystring@0.2.0: The querystring API is considered Legacy. new code should use the URLSearchParams API instead.
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.4.0: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic.  See https://v8.dev/blog/math-random for details.
npm WARN deprecated resolve-url@0.2.1: https://github.com/lydell/resolve-url#deprecated
npm WARN deprecated urix@0.1.0: Please see https://github.com/lydell/urix#deprecated
npm WARN deprecated tar@2.2.2: This version of tar is no longer supported, and will not receive security updates. Please upgrade asap.
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@5.1.5: this library is no longer supported

> aws-sdk@2.980.0 postinstall /opt/node_app/node_modules/aws-sdk
> node scripts/check-node-version.js

> nodemon@2.0.12 postinstall /opt/node_app/node_modules/nodemon
> node bin/postinstall || exit 0

Love nodemon? You can now support the project via the open collective:
 > https://opencollective.com/nodemon/donate

npm WARN optional SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: fsevents@~2.3.2 (node_modules/chokidar/node_modules/fsevents):
npm WARN notsup SKIPPING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCY: Unsupported platform for fsevents@2.3.2: wanted {"os":"darwin","arch":"any"} (current: {"os":"linux","arch":"x64"})

added 19 packages from 23 contributors, removed 6 packages, updated 86 packages and audited 879 packages in 24.676s

13 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details

found 7 vulnerabilities (1 low, 1 moderate, 5 high)
  run `npm audit fix` to fix them, or `npm audit` for details
Removing intermediate container bf964dd250a4
 ---> e9eaf9b708db
Successfully built e9eaf9b708db
Successfully tagged pukka_admin_image_manager__pukka_admin_image_manager_web:latest

Use 'docker scan' to run Snyk tests against images to find vulnerabilities and learn how to fix them
Recreating pukka_admin_image_manager__pukka_admin_image_manager_web_1 ... done
All Services Launched!

The website still seems to be working fine, but I am pretty sure the scary red wording means I should try fix it, anyone got any idea where to even begin.

You just need to update a few packages Paul.

Quick search will locate a load of guides for you on how to do this, and what to watch out for when doing so. Just backup everything. Also worth clearing out your old images as they soon mount up, then redeploy to your host.

To update packages:

Other guides available just search for ‘npm update packages’ etc…

To prune all images from the host and do a little house cleaning:

The command you need to run is simply:

docker system prune

After accepting the prune, by hitting ‘y’, simply re-deploy.

The security audit warnings are quite normal, just run the commands presented. Usually rectifies most audit issues, but again you may wish to update the packages that have issues, also they may not have fixes, depends on the issue.

ALWAYS BACKUP EVERYTHING FIRST!

No biggy, just normal run of the mill Docker stuff. As you add more and more packages you will see this more often mate.

:wink:

PS… You haven’t done anything wrong by the way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whew, thanks Dave, thats wonderful news, I thought I had broken something for a moment there, lol.

Will follow through and update what it needs after a full backup and see what happens.

1 Like

No worries Paul hahaha. First time I saw all that after transitioning to Docker I thought OOOoooooohhhh &%**&%$%&$! Learning more and more everyday, also wondering why we didn’t adopt Docker years ago, has made our lives so much easier! Learning something new everyday.

1 Like

So I tried something, i clicked the Update Node Packages button with that little thumbs up symbol, it ran some output, and now i deploy, all the red is agonner.

EDIT: I have to run a docker system prune almost daily, lol, i hit save and deploy alot, virtually between every change, so i have hundreds of images after an 18 hour day.

1 Like

Another thing often overlooked is updating the OS image itself, ie Ubuntu. You’re usually responsible for these updates yourself, some hosts do take care of it, but make sure if it is your responsibility to take care of it. SSH in to the container and you will be alerted of any OS updates. Updating Ubuntu is straight forward and covered very well in the Ubuntu documentation.

:wink:

1 Like

I am behind on my Ubuntu version for sure, glad you mentioned it, that sounded like a scary one, so i was going to test it out on a dummy droplet first, happy its not a super scary one.

1 Like

Its straight forward mate as long as you are running a stable image and not the daily. Again just backup your container. I think Digital Ocean allow you to back it up? AWS does for sure, very useful to take regular Snapshots as a precaution.

1 Like

We have a Debian box in the office that has been up since the launch of squeeze in 2014, before that our Potato box was up for over ten years!

1 Like

Yup, I often back it up via Digital Ocean before I do something crazy, I am busy backing it up again now before I do this one
2021-09-01_00-16-34

By the way a little off topic but do you offhand know what the differences are between this bunch
2021-08-31_23-15-08

I tend to stick to Terminal and Host Server SSH only, I mean what does Web Server and Database Server actually do, considering my Web and DB images are both in the Host Server SSH, sorry if this is a silly question.

1 Like

I would assume the web server is for stacks containing PHP etc? The DB Manager probably logs you in as root on the database server…? Not used them myself though, like yourself just use SSH. The rest I either do on AWS or via dbForge (similar to Workbench etc).

1 Like

Thanks, glad we on the same page there, haha. Always difficult when you are a one man band not having people to give different opinions, so i do tend to stick with what i know only.
Besides I argue so much with myself, it would be a disaster if there were someone next to me checking what I was doing. bahaha

2 Likes

I have a business partner who’s regular input is ‘yeah just go for it mate’, hahaha. Feel your pain!

Does the term Codoophrenic exist? If not we should adopt it!

:smiley:

1 Like

It should exist, lol.

I tried to create my own cropper in Wappler a few weeks back, and argued so much with myself, in the end “we”/ I just gave up, this is probably my third attempt to add cropper and croppie into one of my projects and I have given up each time.

EDIT: Im calling that CodoWTF as my new word

1 Like

I usually argue with myself when trying to sleep. Amount of times have called myself a stupid w@nker out loud while the wife is next to me is silly… She thinks I hear voices, I don’t disagree. After years she understands hahaha. The voices are all around me like the lambs!

lambs

1 Like

I talk to myself all day long, and when the kids walk in and just start chatting from 3 walls away without even checking what im busy with, i just talk to myself louder and louder, till they realise and sit on the chair waiting for me to finish my current conversation.
Its the only way I can concentrate.

For sleep, I have sleep movies, normally horror movies, because they are generally so silly they I dont get too involved in them, and when you have the same 10 movies rotating all night long in the background they get so boring I quickly fall asleep.

I should maybe try rewatching my youtube video tutorials, I reckon I would be sleeping in seconds, lol

EDIT: Currently rewatching / sleeping through all the Mr Robot again, then back to Supernatural.

1 Like

Hahaha I listen to ten hours of fan noise, gets exciting around the four hour and twenty minute mark!

1 Like

It’s official, you are more strange than me, I know I didnt ask that in the original question, but thats the best answer to an unanswered question “How weird am I?” I have had in years, thanks for that. lol, crazy dude. Fan Noise, mwahahah

1 Like

True that my friend, very true, am weird hahaha… It is ‘Really Awesome’ fan noise though! I mean if Carlsberg made fan noise…

1 Like

Here its often like 40 degrees in summer, and sleep is difficult as your limbs search the sheet to find a new cool spot for 3 seconds, I have a ceiling fan above my head that squeeks on every third rotation and it almost drives me insane. voo voo voo voo voo eek voo voo voo voo voo eek. And I turn it off after an hour of convincing myself I can ignore it.

1 Like