Noob with an Index.php Issue

Hey Wapplers!

First off let me say Wappler seems like an amazing piece of kit! I am dipping my toe in using the trial having come from PHPRad - I feel PHPRad was a bit too buggy and didn’t let me control what i wanted to or give me the option to understand what is going on in the background.

I am following along Paul Strydoms tutorial for the Fruit Juice set up (it’s a really well made tutorial). I totally get that updates over the months have moved components and selections, seems theres also some auto generation on files etc which in Paul’s tutorial were manually added, but I ‘think’ I’ve worked most of it out. I’m all set and have my domain and FTP etc using Ionos and can connect to db and webspace etc.

I can access my index.php page fine when i manually type it into the url address, but i can’t figure out how to have it load by default when someone goes to the URL. Currently the navigation just goes to a blank page.

PHPRad did most of this for you, again this is a reason why i wanted to move to have a bit more control and understanding of how things work.

Thanks all :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @rhawlor, welcome to the community :slight_smile:

It sounds like it’s a setting in your hosting. You need the server to recognise index.php as a default file in the folder. It might be you also have an index.htm or index.html file there which is taking priority?

Hi @sitestreet

Thanks! Yeah I did check those as some files didn’t match the tutorial, but they started matching as we got into it. I guess some streamlining has happened over the months.

Just looking at the server side I only have index.php and dashboard.php.

I will have a look in IONOS and see if there is a way to make index.php a default or lending page.

Oh also wanted to say that this is THE FIRST developer related forum I’ve looked on and there is absolutely no aggression or pettiness! Everyone is genuinely helpful. So long may that continue. :slight_smile:

:+1:

This is full of the best developers in the world and is easily my favourite place to sit in cyberspace. You will love it… and Wappler! Just stick with it, the learning curve can be a little steep but it’s absolutely worth it.

1 Like

I hope so! It’s rare nowadays and ultimately puts people off wanting to ask a question.

Just to confirm that I have now fixed the issue by looking in ionos, thanks @sitestreet

For anyone who does come across this in the future;

Go to the index.php file in ionos Webspace directory
Click the settings icon at the end of the row
Select ‘Change permissions’
Select ‘EXECUTABLE’
Save

Now all working as expected. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Agreed; from time to time we have had some new user who starts off full of cheekyness and many of those I have noticed after a little time dealing with the community generally calm down and start playing nice with the rest of us.
Development is a frustrating enough task without the mean natured users on other forums, the core/foundational Wappler forum members are possibly slightly older too so not many ego and testosterone initiated arguments, as most of us are pretty confident in our past and programming choices, making this a safe place to ask your questions as well as contribute your own findings and solutions.

5 Likes