NodeJS best practice for type of database and setup

Hello. I think the implementation of NodeJS is going to be a significant boost for Wappler. I have been studying NodeJS, NextJS, as well as a plethora of IDEs, and development tools. For anyone thinking about using Wappler, this is the perfect combination of using manual programming fundamentals in a visual way. Now that this is out of the way, here is the issue.

1. During a NodeJS setup in Wappler, what is the ideal database to use (SQLLite, MySQL etc.). I understand some DBs such as Mongo are not (yet) implemented in Wappler.
  2. What is the best practice in developing a NojeJS local development (stagin) environment which will ultimately be deployed on remote servers.
  3. WHat is the best practice in connecting with a remote DB while working on a local NodeJS environment?
  4. What is the migration process for local DBs to a remote server?
  5. How can Firebase / Firestore (and Real Time DB) be implemented?
  6. Lastly, which is the ideal hosting provider. I haved perused Vercel, Netlify and others.

In conclusion, I think Wappler is going be a huge player in the development world, no other IDE or platform comes close to it. It is a classic RAD tool but revamped for the modern world. So one begs the question why do tools like Visual Studio exist and with such a hefty price tag, or Embarcadero tools also with a hefty price tags, I believe it is called billable hours.

There are two types of development scenarios, one where its important to get a project done ASAP and launch to market, the other where writing manual code creates an enormous amount of billable hours, and large companies need to burn money.

Wappler fits in the “ASAP time to market” scenario. Thanks for listening to my rant.

1 Like

Note sure about best practice as a lot is personal choice.
For example many use docker deployment to cloud services like Digital Ocean and Heroku, some prefer node running on a VPS. Personally i wouldn’t say either was best as many factors can influence the choice.
Most seem to be using MySQL/MariaDB as their database platform although others seem to prefer Postgres. Again it’s down to preference. Personably i see SQLite a bit lightweight for anything but small projects although it is generally OK for your developmetn server but I deploy of MariaDB generally.
Migration to Production is really easy with Wappler and it’s inbuilt database manager as database structure changes can be replicated to production at the click of a button and deploy to production equally as easily with a click of a publish button.

Of course you can use an external DB manager like navicat if you wish, connection is exactly as you would with any other dev. platform, basic connection credentials.

Personally i use both Docker via digital ocean and a VPS via my preferred server provider (20i in UK). The forum has posts on configuring a VPS for node on NGINX and cPanel

I was a die hard coder, not really written any code in 3 years since using Wappler. It really is a game changer

2 Likes

Thanks, I will look into this in more detail. And you’re correct, there is no need for manual code unless one has a deep desire to do mental gymnastics every now and then.