Multi-model open source nosql dbms

Does anyone use in their projects multi-model nosql dbms?
for example

OR
https://www.orientdb.org/

Both support REST API.
I tried to work with both databases, and at first glance OrientDB looks more equipped and convenient:
-Security support at the user group level, unlike ArangoDB;
-SQL like syntax;
But the prospect is not clear, after the acquisition of OrientDB - SAP the further life cycle of the product is not clear, and this ambiguity lasts for a long time.

Do the Wapplerians have experience with these databases?
Or tips why you should choose ArangoDB over OrientDB.
Both databases have a Node.js driver, do Wappler users have experience with such drivers and how problematic is it to use them in Wappler projects?

Sorry Vladimir. I’ve never had the need to dig into these.

Hi Vladimir,
I started looking into graph databases for a project I’m interested in. I My concerns about OrientDB and SAP are the same as yours. Their website is very unclear on what will happen to the product, but it looks like the Enterprise version will be moved to Community support.
I had 4 products in mind, the two above and also Neo4J and DGraph. About the latter, I tried to install their free cloud version but it never worked.

Arango looks very interesting, and their benchmarks show that they are faster and lighter, but frankly, this is not a big deal for me because I won’t be dealing with the typical huge datasets that make these engines sweat.

I was considering sending queries from Wappler back end APIs using the database REST API end points – not the JS drivers, and this would be because I thought it would be cleaner and because I wouldn’t know what to do with their drivers.

Wrt actually “using” the database, I have to learn a new language irrespective of the chosen DB (AQL for Arango, GraphQL/DQL for Dgraph, Cypher for Neo4J, and the modified SQL/Gremlin for OrientDB)
To me, it’s almost like “Choose your poison”. All these will have their nuances, and I’m not even a half decent programmer :slight_smile:

I did not notice that Arango did not have the same granularity for security that Orient has. Thanks for pointing that out.

Have you decided on any of these DBs? If so, can you share your experiences?

Many thanks!

Alex

1 Like

Hello @aschoijett
I played around with these databases, and due to the fact that in the Wappler environment we will work with this database like with any other REST API data source, I decided not to waste time on this, but to concentrate on the direction that speeds up the development of the data structure as much as possible, I use Grist SQLite under the hood. Unfortunately, I am far from programming, but I think if you work not through the native protocols of these databases, but through the REST API, there is no fundamental difference in the speed of work, in any case, everything is cached through REDIS in this case.