Mobile Apps: Top 5 Cordova Integration Wish List

So I have just submitted my first Android and iOS app to the stores. However this app is pretty basic in being just a portal for viewing and submitting data behind a secure login. It doesn’t really use any actual native device features yet. Here is the top five I would like if Wappler supported …

1: Push notifications - By far the thing I want the most. Nothing comes close. I’d like to display a push notification to our clients when;
a) they are referred to a possible new job
b) a reminder that they have an upcoming appointment

2: Add to Calendar - I currently display upcoming and past appointments in the client app. I’d like to be able to let the client add that appointment to their device calendar.

3: A local database - There are bits of information I’d like our clients to be able to store on their devices rather than making calls to our API database.

4: Pull to refresh - Something I would like to add but not a deal breaker.

5: Speech to text - Currently the client can send an email to their job coach right from the app. I’d like to add personal notes/reminders (local storage for this). Having the ability for the client to make these notes or email content with speech to text would be cool. Again, not a deal breaker but nice to have.

The first three are big wish list items for me. Especially number one.

Make it happen Wappler team! :wink: :beers:

5 Likes

I’ve not yet created a mobile app so could well be wrong but isn’t this already possible?

Yes technically, but not in Wappler. I think it is coming via PouchDB or MySQLLite or something like that.

All are available Brad. Just search for Cordova plugins. Unlike sites mobile apps will take a lot more hands-on work as you have found out configuration wise with your current apps. You can have everything above but you’ll have to sit there and configure a few things yourself. I’m not sure functions like push could be low-code, maybe I am wrong? For now you could use OneSignal (maybe this could actually be the one for Wappler integration as the free tier is adequate for most):

Speech recognition:

For the calendar use one of the many ical plugins and the Google calendar API.

Plenty of pull to refresh plugins. Funnily enough I inquired about swiped actions yesterday. We currently use this tiny script with a little configuration:

Likewise with local database. Its on its way to Wappler but you can implement it now.

I’m not sure how far the team will push mobile but whichever way it goes due to the nature of the beast it will require more user configuration than anything that has come before in Wappler. Yes would be great if it could all be packaged up with a few clicks here and there and an API key but really not sure how much of this can be shielded from the user…? Anyone with further input like to interject?

2 Likes

Yeah there is tons of plugins out there if you have a degree in coding. However, years ago I was able to add some actual device functionality to an Android App using DMX Cordova Builder. I believe it had some plugins you could select from.

I was able to add a notes (which I would like to do again) and a voice recorder to my app with no coding at all. I don’t mind having to do some things in code but I’d need to know at least where to start,

I might have used this one to get those feature?

So I know these guys can do it. :wink:

1 Like

Nope, it worked the same way. You can install any cordova plugin in the cordova terminal.

Where do I find this mysterious Cordova panel in Wappler?

1 Like

Well it’s the terminal at the bottom of your screen…

1 Like

Can start here Brad:

https://cordova.apache.org/plugins/

Then hit GitHub for a load more. As Teodor points out you’ll use the terminal to install and remove. Some configuration required usually, nothing hardcore though.

Now you can use SQLite for your mobile and desktop projects: Using Local Databases in Mobile and Desktop apps

these are already available for mobile apps.

2 Likes