Mobile App Confusion

Hi all, I’m new to web developing currently learning CSS, html and JS.

I’m hearing a lot about Swift UI, Flutter, Native React. What do we use on Wappler to convert our apps into Googles Play Store and Apple Store? I can see from the drop down it says Framework 7. Why is this? I’m reading React Native is in high demand for jobs. I’m never hearing Framwork 7. Somebody mentioned online that Framework 7 imitates a native look and feel but it isn’t. It’s like a web view.

Can somebody chime in and explain what Cordova or whatever Wappler uses to convert mobile apps etc is.

Thanks all

Please have a look at

Hi Ben, I’m aware of the documentation. I wasn’t clear in my message.

Why doesn’t Wappler use React Native?
Why do we use Framework 7 when the majority of major apps use React Native, Swift and Koplin etc?
Why do we use Cordova?

What benefits or cons are there to using FW7 over others? I’ve googled as much as I can but I keep reading that FW7 is for prototypes and you wouldn’t really use it for real apps.

Also, can we build our app on Wappler with Bootstrap 5 and build the mobile app separately on React Native or something?

Can anybody clarify?

Hi Ashley,

Wappler currently allows you to build the so called hybrid apps. Those are mobile apps that use web technologies to build a native alike look and feel. Although they look as such and perform fast - they are not fully native apps.

So for such hybrid apps you always use Cordova or the new Capacitor to build them and as UI framework you can use Framework7 or Bootstrap. And the flow is pretty familiar to building web apps.

The advantage for having a hybrid app is that you need to build it only once and it will work on all platforms.

The other technologies you mention Like Swift and Kothlin are for pure native apps only and you have to build separate app for each mobile OS.

We hope eventually to get there with Wappler as well, but our current focus is on web technologies.

3 Likes

There is no conversion process. You build for IOS or Android with Wappler. Submission to the respective ‘stores’ is a manual process. You submit the application, it is checked, and either accepted or rejected. For Google you will require a Developer account, am not sure about Apple requirements, maybe another Community member can provide details about that side for you…

1 Like

That answers my question perfectly. Thanks @George! That’s definitely a huge plus for hybrid apps.

And thanks @ben for responding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow, I’ll take a look at the documentation @ben linked in again. I thought your app had to be converted and everything.

Thanks @Dave!

2 Likes

Apple requires you to have a developer account but, unlike Google, they charge an annual fee for it.