Mechanism for Wappler Ambassadors to add tooltips to all elements across the software

One way to massively improve the documentation would be to add tooltips to every field in every dialog throughout the software which would contain a very short description of what is required and even some examples.

As suggested in this thread:

As it will take time, allowing ambassadors to have input into it could get a lot done very quickly.

So this FR is to have that facility added to allow for this to happen.

Great idea, if implemented would make a huge difference to the Wappler UI. Here’s hoping its possible for it to happen.

3 Likes

We can make it possible to have competing description options and, using voting, determine which one to show to the user first, so as a result of natural selection, we will gradually be left with the best option

1 Like

This would be fine, but as long as there is a way to turn them off. I really don’t need or want to see tooltips popping up everywhere for no reason.

1 Like

I would expect them to be like what we already have in lots of places where there is a question mark in a box which you hover over to see the tooltip. The date formatter is the perfect example.

1 Like

Don’t get mad :innocent:

I don’t think this feature request will ever see the light of the day. If they had the time to develop this feature they also would have the time to do the descriptions of the elements.

The only viable thing in this idea is if they share a JSON file for us to fill the descriptions of each element. Building a UI for Ambassadors to help (as well as the accompanying functionality such as voting) is a waste of development resources in my opinion

2 Likes

Hehe, I’m not going to get mad!

While this FR is a genuine one which I’d love to see happen, I’m also a realist. But it’s certainly highlighting a need for something to be done in this area.

2 Likes

This is actually something we are already working on, We are already extending the help texts and tooltips.

This request gave us even a better idea of how to do this. To extract them all in a separate file so indeed everybody can contribute indeed. It will be also very convenient later on for translations.

So will work on this and probably publish a json file with all the keys and initial texts in a github repo where everybody can contribute to.

8 Likes

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks @George