Making a Simple Page with a Logout Button in mere Minutes

Just 32 Thirty-Two Steps to Make a LOG OUT BUTTON

That some mistakes might occur along the way to the simplest page possible is . . . invevitable.

Yeah, it is quite possible that “something” didn’t go as planned by anyone who didn’t build the logic.

This is why I am always back here —
Even following the steps is often excruciating even for “simple” things.

AND

I followed these 32 steps — and GOT A WORKING LOGOUT BUTTON

So — it only takes 2 cups of double shot expressos &
a glass of cranberry juice at 5 AM before the sun is up

I am going to make some movies — Wappler for Idiots

Hello,
What is the purpose of this topic?

1 Like

Step 1:

Create a new server action.

Step 2:

Add the Security Provider you want to logout from and include the security logout step.

Step 3:

Add new server connect action to your page. Select the logout action, tick ‘no auto load’.

Step 4:

Select your button add a dynamic event for on click and select your logout action. Save.

Just timed doing this and I didn’t even get to sip my coffee before I had done it!

2 Likes

And if you have time add a browser redirect, but this could take hours so make sure your flask is full before starting out on this hike of a lifetime dude!

:smiley:

We should possibly make 2 sets of documentation at some stage, one can be headed “The Quick Guide” and the other can be headed “Two Espressos & A Cranberry Juice” which would be for the audience that actually wants or needs the additional guidance.

As a person that has had a hand in assisting to create documentation, it is quite a painful task because much of what I would assume people would just know, they often would not, I kind of write my documents with the mindset that I am going to ask my mother to perform it, and to be honest a couple times I have actually done just that, asked my mother to follow it and see what questions she has while doing it, so the documentation currently can be pretty verbose, but to support a wider audience, it is required.

I’ll admit obviously a little experience really does go a long way so it is easy to forget about the learning curve. I’m from the opposite spectrum to psweb as in that I produced many guides and howtos for gamers in my past. Quick steps, bish - bosh - bash (and a lot of bash as was mostly Linux guides on getting games like CS to run, setting up servers, blah blah, this is back in 2000 or so)… So yes maybe quick and slow guides might be a thing…? Certainly not bashing Wappler, its not the way to go at all, and you’ll end up getting jumped on! Many a time I’ve got peeved trying to do something but in general I learn a lot more making so many mistakes. I mock myself a lot. This is essential to being a designer/developer. Self mockery etc…

Agreed, I do the same, after i struggle for 20 minutes, then figure it out, i spend the next 2 minutes calling myself names.

2 Likes

I agree with having multiple types of documentation. For example, a reference guide would basically document how individual pieces of Wappler work, in minute detail. It would not attempt to show how to connect those pieces together. This is where one goes when they know what they are looking for but need to know the specifics of how it works.

For beginners, we need to create a foundational learning system—learn A before you even consider learning B. Ideally that would be done in the editor, but as that is more complicated, we could fall back to building things from scratch. Bubble did a basic level of this for all new users. You go through a series of exercises that familiarize you with the editor. You can then go into hard mode where the guided instructions disappear.

My final thought is this. There will always be people that will chart their own path and struggle. And we must remember that some people have the ability to apply knowledge to new tasks and others, not so much. I can teach my mom exactly how to fetch the current user and she’ll be able to do that every time, but if I ask her to fetch a different user, she’ll ask me how.

This is a tough challenge but a critical element to growth (not to mention the sanity of @Teodor) :wink: I’m happy to help.

6 Likes