Mailer - Bulk mailer and progress bar?

I have a mailing list of say 1000 emails… that needs to send out … the email is on a repeat query with serverconnect… … i will be using an external smtp server to send out the mails.

1. If I press send and close the page … will it send to all 1000 recipients even if im not on the page anymore???

2. IF NOT… is it possible to have a progress bar to show the progress of the send mail… eg 1 of 1000
    So that the client does NOT leave the page… and NOT time out? Say open up a modal with a progress bar ???

you can use form states

for progressbar

1 Like

From the testing I’ve done. If you close the page the emails are still sent

Actually the page still needs to be loaded. That is why we moved to MailChimp instead of running our own mail out procedures.

1 Like

Strange, the tests I have done, the emails send even when you close the page, but saying that it is in lower qty’s.

@George could you confirm this one

hi @gunnery , @Mozzi
closing the page while the loop is running will stop the loop. However, the posts made during the cycle are completed.

Thanks for the reply @brad @gunnery @s.alpaslan

Ok! So if I read between the lines here… …

Sending out say to 10 recipients is fine…
but if you want to send out to a large number of recipients / bulk mail… then its better to use a 3rd party … eg… MailChimp…

mmm i wonder if the MailChimp API works in Wappler…, back to the drawing board…

1 Like

Don’t worry its back to the drawing board for me as well…I though I was going to avoid having put mail chimp api in this project ;(

1 Like

So if I use the … progress bar… and an external SMTP service for bulk mailing it should do the tick… that is if the client keeps the window open… let me see and get back to you guys…

any way of tracking the progress… ?? eg sending 1 of 1… as the executing state makes the progress bar run… but one cant see the progress… any idea on how to do this… or does it need a response from the smtp server for this… so it calculates the recipients and then run the repeat… and every-time its send a mail it updates the progress bar… :slight_smile: 1 of 10… 2 of 10… 3… of 10…

I am using ServerConnect and a 3rd party SMTP Server. I currently don’t display 1,2,3/500 sent .

Since sometimes the issue is the action ‘times out’ on every email sent I update a database value to 1.
This way I always send the emails to all recipients that have the ‘email_sent’ value == 0

Thank you

1 Like

mmm that can work and a great solution to handle the time outs… thanks @t11

but it seems like the client is going to opt for a 3rd party software to send out emails via a desktop app… atomicmail sender… as the bulk mailing via the web interface might time out…

I really do think sending out about 30 mails via mailer in the web interface is OK… but more than that get a 3rd party app… or sign up for a dedicated service like mailchimp…

thanks for all the input guys…

Yes, I agree. I would just say that it is a different approach. Something like Constant Contact could cost you about 95$/month while an SMTP server about 10$ / month. So although Mailchimp etc are very good options, creating something custom with ServerConnect could lead in saving a lot of money per year while having something custom (with its pros and cons).

3 Likes