Looking for suggestions on forum software

Hi, I know with a bit of work something could be made to operate like forum software with Wappler. I would not want to take that on with so many already made products (that are free).

I know there are a ton of very smart people on the Wappler forum so hoping I could get some good suggestions on which ones are best.

I would like it to be easy to use and set up, support computers, tablets and phones. Work with Go Daddy hosting and have good security features.

Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated - thanks in advance!!!

Norm

Quite pricey, but worth its while https://www.discourse.org/. Example is in front of you.

Thanks Ben - that one looks a bit hard to get installed (with my level of skill). It does seem like a nice product but getting it up an running on my existing go daddy account does not look easy at all.

Norm

Discourse is actually free if you install and host it yourself.

It is pricey if you get their hosted solution, but there is no need for that. We also self host it.
But indeed you have to have a bit tech skills :slight_smile:

Wow, didn’t realise that @George, time for an install and play i guess!

Only indirectly linked with wappler but i could document my installation experience if you like (assuming it is successful!)

edit: i think i will have to cancel that, too many permission changed needed for the hosted service i use. May set up a local ubuntu server and try on that when i get a chance

1 Like

At the beginning I was reading the code of the pages of this forum because I was curious if the Wappler Team made the forum with Wappler . :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Discourse is a really great platform.

1 Like

Thanks George - I did see that it was free but I did not come across any directions to do it yourself - maybe I’ll get my wife to help me – she has a CS degree - I’m really just a HW guy :slight_smile:

Lots of open source BB solutions out there, many can be installed directly onto shared hosting platforms via the hosting service’s control panel, Not sure about what GoDaddy offers, never used them

One which comes to mind is phpBB which is fairly simple to install on a shared hosting platform and is very powerful.
https://www.phpbb.com/

Thanks Brian - yes there are a ton of options - I looked at that one and mybb too. I was just looking for some honest feedback since I’m sure whichever one I try it will take some work to stand it up!!

I have used phpBB in the past, very powerful but i did have issues with spammers but that was about 4 years ago so may be more secure now

Interesting - I assume you were letting people create accounts w/o checking them out via email or do you mean just trying to create accounts and a lot of work for you to weed them out?

Yes, There seemed to be a security weaknesses (or i hadn’t configured it properly) allowing the automatic creation of accounts and posts but as i say that was along time ago.

1 Like

Discourse has a pretty complete install guide:

1 Like

I’ll read through that again - seemed like it had good info for cloud install (whatever that is) but I did not see anything for a user with an existing typical web host - but I’ll review again Thx!!!

Cloud install is just a fancy word meaning to install it on your own server :slight_smile:

The most easiest way is the get a cheap VPS from Digital Ocean (they call it a droplet) and follow their really useful guide:

I think they have VPS server starting for $5 per month … but for Discourse you need 2GB - so use the Digital Ocean $10 pm droplet

1 Like

I had always used phpBB and Simple Machines Forum. I think phpBB is really easy to use and administer. It makes very good sense in the admin section. The security flaws in phpBB2 are no longer around. phpBB 3 had introduced a new CAPTCHA system and better authentication.

With that being said - as George notes - this site is built on Discourse. I’m not familiar with it or how complicated or easy it is. However, I think it is more modern than the other two. My suggestion would be start with Discourse - if it is too complicated or too much - then try phpBB. Either way, you’ll master the lost art of installing software. :smiley: Plus - CPANEL has Installatron which will allow you to go through a simple installation process. I don’t know if Discourse is on there but it may be.

Thank that helps, just don’t understand the droplet thing or why I would pay a monthly fee (or what the fee is for). In my simple mind I have a go daddy account and I just run the forum SW there. I can almost feel my IQ dropping off as time goes on :wink: