Local Docker Setup Issue - Can't See Local Site

You need docker running locally - normally it installs out of the box…

Just the WSL2 enabling under windows is two commands more.

Maybe you need more easier tutorial:

Fair enough, I’ll have a play with it.

Thanks for all your help today George. I appreciate it.

It would be great if you could update the docker documentation about this. It’s not such a nice experience when Docker is described in the “it’s so easy” way and the reality is that it takes days to make it work!

Are you running Windows 10 Professional Antony? If you’re running Home or another version Docker may not work. Fine for Mac and Linux but Windows requires you have the Pro version installed for Docker compatibility. There are work-arounds but inherently, they are, work-arounds…

The latest docker desktop runs fine on windows 10 home as well. They fixed it

Great didn’t know that, cheers @George :slight_smile:

George, it would be great if you could add this “Need to Hit Reset” fix to the documentation too, as it happens to me every time on DigitalOcean…

It’s probably not directly relevant to this thread, but I was wondering if it’s possible to install Wappler and Docker on a virtual machine using Hyper-V - the answer is yes. Initially various errors appeared, but after running a couple of powershell commands found here, it works fine.

This is obviously relevant if you’re using a virtual machine, but it might relevant even if you’re not. If you want to experiment with Docker etc, it may be a good option. It’s also useful if you want to run two instances of Wappler.

In which case could you start another thread please? :slight_smile:
This thread is very focussed on fixing my specific problem!

Hi there @George

So… I believe I have WSL 2 fully installed now - evidence below. I went through the long document and did all it said, and installed Ubunto 20 on there too.

I know I have WAMP disabled, as the WAMP check of Port 80 says Docker is using it.

Wappler gives me the green light and says all services are launched.

But I still don’t see my web site.

http://localhost gives the forbidden message.
http://localhost/index.php gives the file not found message.

What do you suggest I investigate next? :thinking:

Best wishes,
Antony.

wsl2

launched

settings

Oh, and rather nicely, I can turn Docker off and WAMP on and be back in my current WAMP world, which is really great.

Just need the Docker world up and running! :slight_smile:

Just use the suggested port 8100 and you can use them together

Well that would be great if I could get Docker to work at all!

My previous post describes how it still isn’t working after installing WSL2… can you give me some ideas on how to fix it please?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Well seems I also don’t have any WSL2 distro but the docker options enabled as per default and it all runs fine:

1 Like

I think you do have a WSL2 distro @George, that is what the 2s mean in your blue coloured image.

You don’t have Ubuntu installed though under your WSL2, and I do.

Could this make a difference do you think?

This is beginning to get very challenging and time consuming… Docker is supposed to be easy and mean you don’t need to understand all this Unix stuff, but I’m having to go deeper and deeper down this Unix installation Rabbit Hole that I just don’t understand!

Just curious, is there a reason you chose to use Docker over traditional web hosts or VPS with LAMP style stack? Especially if it’s for your first production app

2 Likes

I wanted to ask the same question Antony? You really need to pin down a technology and stick to it for the stability of your application, as well as your mind. There is nothing wrong with PHP, its not outdated, and won’t be for quite a while. I’m all up for learning new technologies but I’d never play around with a production environment while experimenting, nor let it take my time away from maintaining development of whats important, working, and deployed. Just my thoughts mate, nothing personal, nor is it an attack on your approach. Sometimes a degree of separation is incredibly important and its all too easy to jump from one thing to the next thing. Again too easy to get fixated on non important issues which inevitably steal time from what is actually important. I’ve been the victim of my own obsessions to get things working, and wasted a hell of a lot of time figuring out I don’t actually need what I’ve wasted hours, days, weeks, and even months upon…

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language

1 Like

Hi, Dave!

In some ways I agree with you, but in some ways I don’t. If we are talking about the current project, then I agree that there is no point in experimenting. PHP has a proven, reliable approach to deploying applications that is supported by all providers without exception.

However, if we are talking about experiments related to the study of new approaches to development, for use in future projects, this definitely makes sense! Especially in light of what Wappler does relatively Docker in terms of deploying multiple NodeJS servers with a load balancer. But in this case, I do not understand why to use a bundle of Docker + PHP…

As for your link, it should also be treated sensibly. These statistics do not take into account trends, but the accumulated history of projects. It is obvious that PHP will be the undisputed leader here with millions of mini sites made by Amateurs, on such CMS as Wordpress, Joomla and others. But this can not be the basis for justifying the use of PHP in a new project on Wappler.

I tend to think that it makes sense to consider everything individually. PHP is certainly excellent and reliable, but NodeJS can give more in certain directions. There is already a gap between nodejs and PHP in Wappler, and I think that this gap in functionality will only increase over time.

3 Likes

This was my reasoning exactly. We have all seen the hardwork and effort Antony has put in to his project. Just didn’t want him to shift focus away from what he has been working on so hard at such a critical time.

Couldn’t agree more. None of us would be here otherwise.

Absolutely. Just showing that PHP is far from obsolete.

Totally agree.

1 Like

Hey folks, I appreciate your input!

Docker has been marketed to us as super simple, push button and the way of the future.

I wanted to check out hosting my PHP site with DO.

So spending a short hour or so proving this apparently fast and efficient Docker route sounded like a no brainer…

Until it didn’t work.

And then, as you know, you have to ask the question of when to throw the towel in. It is always possibly going to all work with the next thing you try.

Luckily I’ve been doing Christmas preps too, so its not taken 20 hours of my time… but I have been faffing around with it for the last 3 days with no solution arising.

I feel disappointed that this apparent future of hosting appears right now to be highly problematic with the current Docker Desktop release on Windows 10.

So yes, I definitely need to look to move on to an FTP solution to continue my exploration of DO.

Big sigh…

Antony.

1 Like

I daresay it can be problematic, and it can also be very simple. It sounds as if you’ve had to go through quite a few hoops to get where you’ve got, and done much research - and it’s still not working. Perhaps you’ve made it more complicated than necessary and things have got in a muddle. For example I noticed you installed Ubuntu separately. I don’t think this should be necessary. Running the PS command you showed, I see the same as George.

It might be best to uninstall docker and anything else you’ve installed and start from scratch. To check your Wappler target etc is set up as it should be, you could create a new project which will have things set up correctly, automatically - eg using @ben’s excellent wCart demo on github. Apart from being a great example of the simplicity of using docker with Wappler (obviously, providing it works), there is much to be learnt from studying the project (IMO anyway).

Having said that, I would want to understand a lot more about docker before using it for anything other than experimenting with.

1 Like